• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ice box on E-35 Mk II won't drain

My 35 Mk II has the ice box in the starbord aft corner of the cabin next to the sink. It has quit draining and I cannot seem to find access to the drain hose. I have plunged and pressed a hose to the drain. I have poured vinegar in the drain and poked around with a straightened coat hanger but no luck. I can't find access to the bottom of the ice box. This boat has the engine in the dinette area but it looks as if I'd have to disassemble the galley cabinetry to get to the bottom of the sink and I just don't have the skills.

Has anyone else solved this problem?

Thanks for your advice and help.

Vern Kleist
Whisper
Chula Vista, CA

Guy Stevens

A sponge

I always close off the drains and use a sponge to get the liquid out of the bottom. Prevents stuff that rots from getting into the bilge and smelling bad.

It also prevents the cold from constantly draining out the bottom of the ice box.

Guy
:)

chaco

Member III
The icebox drain goes under the galley sink (visable) and in to the bilge.
As Guy pointed out the bilge needs to be kept clear of random bacteria
from the icebox (bad design). Either plug the drain and sponge or put in
a shower drain to pump to your sink connection is my recomondation.
I have the same delemna....only keep beverages in the icebox for now.
Will have to put in a secondary drain sump with manual pump.

Hello Guy,

Thanks for your reply. Strangely enough on my boat #356 the drain from the ice box is not visible under the sink. There is a piece of wood between the below sink space and the ice box with no visible hose or drain except for the hose from the forward water tank. I guess I might have to bust this piece of wood out of there since it bottom of the box is not accessable from the rear either. I'm not so worried about water draining into the bilge since I got used to it on my Yamaha and only store drinks in the ice box anyway.

Certainly it seems like a better idea to have it drain into the sink connection to the cockpit drains. I'll stay at it.

Vern

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
This discussion just gave me an idea. I have the same issue with the ice box draining into the bilge. My bilge would probably be dry most of the time if not for that. I think I will get a sink drain stopper for the ice box and pump it out with my portable hand pump. There is always water left in the back even when it's drained. Easier fix than re plumbing. Also it should be pumped easy enough since the ice box is right next to the sink.

Thanks for getting me thinking about this again.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I think the easiest solution is to attach a small valve to the end of your drain line and just drain it into a bucket occasionally. no pumping, no pool in the bottom of the icebox (if you use a wider-diameter hose with more capacity), and no cold air pouring out into the bilge.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
This may or may not work on the earlier boats but this is how the icebox drain works on my '83 E38: The icebox drain line leads aft to an inline valve under the galley sink. The drain line is tied into the saltwater feed line to the galley sink footpump. If I close the footpump feed seacock and open the drain inline valve I can then use the footpump to pump the water out through the sink. This is handy to use for washing dishes (not the final rinse though) or just pumping the icebox out quickly. Keeping the inline valve closed keeps the cold in the icebox with the melted water. Works for me. RT

Last edited:
Hi Dan,

You responded to my question about the ice box drain a few days ago. Since our boats are both '74s I thought they might be similar.

I don't have a drain coming from the ice box to the undersink cabinet. The floor in that area is removable and I have pulled it up. Even then I see no hose from the ice box. On the icebox side there is foam insulation right down to within an inch of the hull with no sign of a hose.

When I poke around in the drain I get the feeling that the drain is angled forward under the cabinets where the drawer section and the undersink access join.

I was wondering if your boat is different. I was thinking of trying to cut an access hole in the undersink cabinet wall and dig out some of the insulation and see if that would give me access to the drian. I like that sump idea and would rather not have to pump it out after each use but that may be the way I have to go.

As always, I am interested in your experience with these boats.

Vern

Brisdon

Inactive Member
When I bought my E35-2 the ice box was draining into the insulation under it because the drain fitting was screwed up. I took out the drawers and drilled a 4" hole in the side just below where the drain is placed in the box. I replaced the fitting and the hose and ran it to the shower sump. I blew new urethane foam to replace what I had dug out for the repair and cut it clean with the surface of the plywood. It's hidden by the drawers so I didn't replace the circle I cut out. I like being able to hose out the fridge and have it pump out through the sump. The hose always has water trapped in it, sort of like a sink trap, so I don't seem to be losing cold.

chaco

Member III
Thanks Bridon !..... another brilliant idea to keep these elligant beasts afloat.
The shower sump pump was the only 12V pump operational when I Surveyed.
Running the refrigerated ice box drain will be a nice addition.
The new Beta 902 drops HOME on the stringers this weekend.
Will post the RePower Project soon for all you Mid-Engine Owners.