• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-23 in Newport Beach, need help deciding

WadeLovell

I put down a small deposit on an E-23 which has been languishing at its mooring in Newport Beach for over a year. When I initially inspected the boat she was rough but dry. She was pumped out shortly before my inspection. The bottom is filthy. The varnish is just going. The instruments were removed at some point and the holes left open. The standing rigging needs to be replaced but the main components are all there. The sails may have three years of recreational sailing left in them based solely on my quick look and their being reasonably crisp.

When I went with outboard in hand to motor her home last weekend the cabin sole was awash in about three inches of water. Owner suggested it could be rainwater but it isn't.

What are the most likely sources of leaks on a 1975 E23?

Does anyone here know this boat, hull #ERY23255M75F?

Is there an owner in the Newport area who would be willing to help me decide whether to motor her to San Diego or donate her to the Sea Scouts?

I can jointly donate it with the previous owner or complete the purchase for another few dollars. I own an empty mooring in San Diego, so finding a place to leave her on the water is not an issue.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I don't personally know the characteristics of the E-23, but I am aware they have a swing keel. I had a 22' boat with a swing keel and water was always a minor issue coming in through the pivot bolt as well as coming in where the cable comes through to the keel winch. Of course I would check all the through hull fittings. Here's a link to other E-23's on YachtWorld.com to compare to.

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/...=100&fromPrice=1&toPrice=200,000,000.00&cint=

Meanolddad

Member III
Looks like your Ericson is on Ebay as we speak, Looks like the one you described. Missing the instruments and is on a mooring in Newport. Does not look to bad from the pictures.
Greg

WadeLovell

On eBay with $500 Buy It Now and Craigslist at $250

Meanolddad said:
Looks like your Ericson is on Ebay as we speak, Looks like the one you described. Missing the instruments and is on a mooring in Newport. Does not look to bad from the pictures.
Greg

I bought it based on that picture but the question is, is it worth having? I have signed the title in blank so the man I bought it from can get rid of it before he takes delivery of his new boat. The envelope is sitting here pending feedback from this forum. Those are his listings and, yes, unless I hear something compelling from members here tonight, I am sending out that envelope.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
Wadelovell...did you end up w/the e23? how is it? what have you done / learned about them? i am a new e23 owner...

WadeLovell said:
I bought it based on that picture but the question is, is it worth having? I have signed the title in blank so the man I bought it from can get rid of it before he takes delivery of his new boat. The envelope is sitting here pending feedback from this forum. Those are his listings and, yes, unless I hear something compelling from members here tonight, I am sending out that envelope.