• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Sailing Instruments

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Thanks, Jim, I'll look into B&G. One difference, however, is that the B&G apparent wind readout is digital. It does not reproduce the analog meter as does Maretron. In addition, B&G uses a proprietary network - kind of like getting stuck with Windows IMHO. I believe some of the higher end Raymarine displays are becoming NMEA 2000 compliant which means you could use then with any manufacturer's NMEA 2000 compliant sensors such as the Airmar Weather Station (no moving parts). Even Yanmar is making NMEA 2000 complaint engines which means that the temp and oil pressure can be read on the display.

windjunkee

Member III
Geoff, We have the B&G Analog apparent wind display, not digital. What I ended up doing is buying the H-1000 system, which comes with the speed, depth, wind and compass sensors, all the cabling and three interfaces that link all of them together. In addition to the system purchase, I bought the analog Apparent Wind display and the tri-function display. I like alot of wind data and most of the info I have displayed relates to the wind.

B&G has the "fastnet" system of linking the instruments together and it is almost 'plug and play' simplicity. However, we linked our autopilot (Simrad), our GPS (Garmin) and our laptop computer with tactical and navigation software through the NMEA input/output in the Universal interface. There is a really REALLY tiny buss bar inside the interface to weave these wires into, but the nice thing is if you need it, you can link up to three universal interfaces in parallel. The "system" will read data from any of the sources and you can conceivably wire your gear into any of the interfaces.

Now, my computer both accepts data and talks to the system, as my tactical program allows for fine tuning instrument calibration, and the serial NMEA connection allows for both sending and receiving data into the H-1000 system. The added bonus of the laptop is that I can display all the instrument data from the cockpit down below at the nav station, so it takes the place of a repeater system down there.

The B&G system was definitely more expensive than the other instrument packages out there, but my primary concern in choosing the instrument package was to get accurate and detailed wind data and B&G is simply the best out there. I got a good deal through P-Yacht.

Finally, just for kicks, I have installed a SSB radio with sailnet capabilities. I can have weather GRIB files emailed to me and downloaded into the tactical software program on the boat while we're at sea. :egrin: Do we need it? nawwww, but it sure is fun to play with. Oh, we ARE taking the boat on a 1200 nm race, but the weather is pretty predictable on the course.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

tilwinter

Member III
Making a large hole small.

I did something similar to Lauren.

I made a backing plate covered with wax (so epoxy would not stick) and a front place of similar nature. I then put them on either side of the large hole in the bulkhead, connected with a wing nut. I used something flexible on the gelcoat side as a gaskket. I then inserted a wing nut with large washers and tightened it down.

I then filled the void with epoxy (use the SLOW cure) by a small entry at the top of the front plate.

After the epoxy hardened, I then removed the two plates, and had a nice epoxy fill.

The wing nug hole was perfect for using a hole saw to cut the 3 1/2 hole for the new Raymarine instruments.

My final product looks remarkably similar to Lauren's

Howard Keiper

A general note / request:

Anyone replacing their Standad Horizon instruments (thanks Joe), the old WS, SL, or DS series instruments, I'd consider buying them from you.
howard keiper
Sea Quest, E-35 II
# 274
Berkeley

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Nice setup, however I want something that uses less real estate and is accessible from the helm. Here is the apparent wind screen from the simulator on the Maretron web site (all data can be read on a single monitor):

Attachments

• maretron_wind_sm.bmp
    259.3 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, bringing a thread back from the dead..... I was asked for a pic of the instrument setup on my E38. Finally got the camera on board and remembered to take the pic! Here ya go.... RT

Attachments

• Instruments1.jpg
    Instruments1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Instruments2.jpg
    Instruments2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 90