• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

removing drum nut on Barient 32ST primary winch?

mark reed

Member III
I hate to admit that I haven't serviced my primary winches in the 4 years that I've owned the boat! I know I'm way overdue. The first step is to remove the drum nut, and I can't loosen either one of them! I've removed this same part with no problem on other winches, but these won't budge. Squirted a bunch of Liquid wrench into the top, bent a bronze deck key, and have also tried putting a screwdriver into one of the holes and applying the winch handle, as advised by Arco. All to no avail.

Any other ideas? What about hot water?

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Screwdriver...

Hey Mark, I'm not sure what ARCO suggests, but I use a #2 phillips at a 45 degree angle or so in one of the holes with the tip pointing so it will rotate counter clockwise- then tap gently with a rubber mallet or a pump handle or something.
Chris

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I find that a little heat applied with a heat gun does wonders for moving recalcitrant metal to metal items, especially if liquid wrench has been applied and had some time to soak in.

I serviced mine this last month, but didn't have this problem.

mark reed

Member III
finally removed them!

I was finally able to remove the drum nuts by taking Chris's suggestion to the next level - a pin punch and a hammer!:esad: Luckily, only a little cosmetic damage done. And the winches look really good inside - not much wear after 18 years. I ordered spare pawls, springs, and spacers from Arco, just to be safe.