• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bilge pump upgrades

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks.

I'm a bit crowded under the sink, too. I may place the main diaphragm pump in the port seat locker. The hose and wiring are easy to access there.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For the record, here is the pump installation on a 1989 E38.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ericson 38 1989 diaphragm pump installation.jpg
    Ericson 38 1989 diaphragm pump installation.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 214

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
That diaphragm pump in the engine compartment is for the shower sump. The bilge pump is located under the galley sink. I have the same configuration in my 1988 model.
Mike Jacker

Pat C.

Member III
Christian, I would consider changing that air filter. I had one just like it, and one time when the aforementioned impeller pump failed, it spewed water at it, didn't keep it out and when attempted to start engine it froze completely. Water in the cylinders. Pull injectors, turn over to expel water, bleed fuel lines, change oil and all was well again. Lucky it didn't sit that way for longer, would have totaled the engine. Can't remember what I replaced it with, was aftermarket and water resistant. Pretty inexpensive as well. Also actually filters the air too, which that one didn't do so well, at least in my experience.

I'll try to remember to check the brand next time I'm up there. Pretty sure I got it at O'Reilly's Auto Parts, will check.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good point. That photo is actually somebody else's boat, just to show one possible location for a diaphragm pump.

My current air intake is extended to draw from under the sink. My guess is that the idea was to provide "cool" air to the engine (value unknown) but it would also avert the disaster you reckoned with.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I just installed a K&N I tapped the top for a nipple and am running the crankcase breather through it. The boat smells better and the transmission is no longer getting misted from the outside. The filter on the M25XP is horizontal rather than vertical. The K&N is cleanable so it doesn't have to be replaced and it is not an oily mess at change out time like the old one. No chance of a shard of metal breaking loose and getting swallowed by the engine either.