• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast head light recommendation?

omgirl

Member II
This will be one of undoubtedly many, many postings on questions for our new Ericson 32... and our first real boat!

Our mast head light was broken in transport... anyone have a recommendation for a replacement? Preferrably something we can order or pick-up at a local store. Are there things to know about what we are choosing? Any good things or bad things to look out for?

Thanks...

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Get an LED version. Some what more expensive but much less amp. draw and the bulbs last a lot longer. West or any chandlery should have one.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Do it all before the stick goes back up...

I'd say just get something from west marine or someplace... should be able to get it for about $100 or so. Lots of discussion in lots of places about going with LED... Less power sucking, less bulb replacement, less visibility, more money- great opportunity to pull your hair out trying to decide.
Be sure to replace all of your bulbs and double check your wiring and sheaves and all the goodies on the mast/ masthead while it's down. That will save you a trip up the stick in July.

As for the bottom paint, I'm sure you'll get as many opinions as answers. My theory is not to skimp on anything that's in the water- ever. We use Interlux Micron Extra with Biolux. I don't know what all that means (I'm not a chemist), but I know it's a quality ablative that keeps my bottom nice and clean. Petit also makes some quality "cruiser paint". Most of the more expensive paints will come in a variety of colors. More inexpensive usually come in black, royal blue, red, and sometimes white. We have warmer water which promotes growth quicker.
Also, don't forget about transducer paint for speed/depth. Don't put copper ablatives on them. If the speedo is removable, pull it when you leave the boat for more than a day or two and put the (factory) bung in it's place.
Chris

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Is this a true USCG masthead light or just an anchor light ? The official USCG masthead light faces forward part way up the mast versus the anchor light at the top of the mast. I ask because the masthead wording is sometimes used to describe the anchor light.

If it's really an anchor light I would use the Davis model with the bracket for about $50. It comes with two bulbs (0.1 amp and 0.3 amp). The 0.1 amp is supposed to be legal for anchoring but I would use the 0.3 amp. I put in a Davis last year. The 0.1 amp bulb looks dim compared to other boats on anchor. It has a photocell so it can turn on and off automatically when on anchor. When I checked last year, the LED versions drew much less power but cost a lot more.

The power comsumption is a big issue on a small sailboat without the motor on. A typical incandescent anchor light will take about 1-2 amp, so overnight that's 10-20 amps minimum. We sail most of the day with instruments and autopilot and then motor a short period before anchoring. So the batteries are definitely not full when we drop the anchor. The Davis model brings the consumption down to 3-6 amps without the high cost of the LED models.

If it's the forward facing light, the motor will be on so power consumption is irrelevant. A LED version will give you some advantage for reliability but again it will be pricey. I would go with the incandescent.

Another important factor is availability. I don't see many of the LED versions in the stores. I would go with non-LED and put in an off the shelf model such as from West Marine.

-- neal

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Is it a combination tri-color/anchor light? I'd definitely recommend that if you weren't already planning on it. A tricolor when sailing at night (can't be used under power) will increase your visibility and greatly reduce your power consumption. We bought one at West Marine a few years ago, and I want to say it was about $150? If you're in NH, you might check out Hamilton Marine in Portland. They're prices are typically much lower than West Marine (like 10-20%).

Nate

Art Mullinax

Member III
Navigation lights.

In some areas a problem with the masthead tri-color is getting lost in the background of city lights so don't depend solely on the masthead alone. My 0.02!

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Good thought Art. I think of it more for offshore night sailing, where bigger boats may not see your deck-level lighting as you dip in and out of wave troughs, and when power consumption is more important.

If you have a tricolor you certainly still need to have deck level lights though, because otherwise you won't be able to show your masthead (steaming) light above your red/green when under power. The tricolor is only for sailing.