• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Broken zipper in head liner

gabosifat

Member III
Hi All,

Has anyone found a fix for a broken zipper on their headliner? Almost all of mine were seized up with corrosion on the aluminum zipper pull mechanism. I've been working on them slowly over the past few months with liquid wrench, silicone spray etc. I've freed them all up except one & it broke on me today - the actual aluminum zipper mechanism broke as it was so corroded. Now I'm not sure how to procede - is it possible to somehow to attach a new zipper mechanism without having to remove the headliner? This one is a long one on the starboard side of the boat & the vinyl liner goes right over the bulkhead at each end so it's not even possible to get at the ends of the zipper.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve Gabbott
E35/3 "Silent Dancer"
Vancouver

escapade

Inactive Member
zipper woes

You can get replacement pulls at myladys fabric outlets. They come in different sizes so if in doubt get the assortment. You'll need to remove a few of the teeth to get the new pull started. Crimp a stop or sew the zipper together after the new pull is in place to keep from pulling it too far. Had the same problems with the zippers on my E34. Tried the same stuff (liquid wrench, etc.) but still had 2 that wouldn't budge.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Zipper repair

Jim Joubert, who has an Islander 36, wrote this definitive blurb on repairing zippers in the overhead. The ones he is talking about are exactly the same as on my 87 E-34. I found stainless sliders at Joann Fabrics which I believe is a nationwide chain.

http://www.islander36.org/zippers.html