• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-2 extra ballast??

S Ellis

Member I
Hi All
I was doing a clean up under the v berth today, and while standing on my head discovered a about a dozen lead ingots that are tucked in under the aft end of the water tank.Iwas able to remove 4 of them but the rest appear to be gooped in place. They weigh 22 lb. each. I was assuming a previous owner,[not the last one who is my brother] had fitted these to trim the bow down a bit, but got to wondering if they were possibly a factory fit? "Diversion" is one of the first 32's, having being built in '69...#111!! Anyone else found this on one of the real early boats, or did someone just have some spare lead to hide?! There was also some lead under the port settee which I assumed had been put there for trim. I removed this also and noticed no effect on the trim. Why pack extra weight!!
Steve

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
The E29 has 300 pounds of lead added under the sole in front of the mast support. This was factory add on. Sounds like yours mught be factory also.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Pigs

AFAIK, These are not factory pigs;)

The weight on the port side is commonly done by owners who do not like the look of the slight stb list while at rest-typical of this generation of BK E-boats (38 series (all) new 32, 34, 35, etc.). But, the bow weight can't be a good thing, unless one of the owners of another 32 knows differently.

As Randy says, some weight just ahead of or behind the mast could qualify as ballast, but in trhe V-berth it would have to be trim weight, which should not be required (especially something like 250 lbs!!). All this will do is slow the boat down and add weather helm, and add pitching moment is a seaway.

The only thing I could envision might be if there are aftermarket mods in the aft end of the boat which added so much weight to the back end that the boat is sitting on it's aft "haunches". This could be to offsetr something like this-but it does nothing good for the sailing qualities.

Other 32-200 drivers: Chime in!!!

S

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Perhaps PO carried a lot of people in the cockpit frequently and wanted to compensate. I wouldn't but perhaps PO did.

I've seen small sailboats with six people in the cockpit. We only do that occaisonally.

-- neal

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Here's what I would do:

1.Take enough of the spare ingots to counter balance the 8 left in the forward goop and leave them on shore along with any other extra ballast. Put a fore-aft level on the cabin sole admidships and note the reading while standing there. I think the COG is just aft of the mast.

2. Assuming she was bow heavy with only the bow gooped ballast onboard, take the 8 compensating ingots and move them aft until she levels. Exactly half way between is near the COG.

3. Based on the results from 1. &/or 2., you may now be motivated enough to remove the water tank and stand on your head chiseling long enough to remove the gooped ingots.

Is Mr. Bruce King to be found anymore ? This is a good question for him. Several years ago I heard he was in New England.