• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 36C experiences?

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Hi folks, I've been browsing some of the Ericson docs, and I'd have to say my favorite of the moment is the Cruising 36. Our sailing aspirations are more of the Voyaging ilk than the club-racing variety, so a well-built, sea-kindly, and livable boat is our design brief.

It's clever how the 36C has created three distinct cabins in a boat that size, and I like the way the underbody incorporates a skeg that supports the transom hung rudder. But I've got a couple questions.

She's awfully beamy for a 36 footer, isn't she? For a boat that's billed as a through-and-through voyager, how do you think her beam affects ultimate stability vs. Angle of Vanishing Stability?

Also, from the pictures it appears the designers may have sacrificed storage for interior space to some extent, as there are no shelves or cabinets along the outboard sides of the main cabin where the area under side-decks is often utilized in conventional cabin-house decked boats. Does anyone have experience with provisioning these boats, and can comment on their storage capacity?

Thanks, Nate

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Yeah, I see those, and they're pretty, but I'm not sure I'd call them substantial storage for voyaging.

Is your 31 the Cruising 31 Glyn?

Glyn Judson

Nate, No they aren't really all that deep. After sending that post off to you, I Googled around and swa the images of one where the owner had fitted proper stowage lockers there. You can recognize them if you choose to search as they are painted white. As to your question about my boat. No, it's an Independence 31, same hull and deck as the Cruising 31 but with vastly changed interior and some exterior changes. Feel free to visit our web site at http://www.ericson31.com Glyn

Seth

Sustaining Partner
36c

This is a unique boat-in a good way. Shortcomings are storage as you observed, but this can be overcome with some carpentry and clever engineering.

The hull is strong, and the performance is actually outstanding for this type of boat-traditional on deck, modern under water-the best of both worlds for a serious cruiser who likes traditional aesthetics...

I don't have the numbers at hand, but I would be shocked if the beam caused any problems with vanishing stability. BK designed some of the most seakindly boats on the water, and I think you will find big benefits in form stability, sail carrying ability and speed (very important in the seaworthiness equation)-especially in the Trade Wind reaching conditions (think ABN in the VOR).

I think this is the last thing you should worry about-but I have been wrong before (once;) ).

Take a hard look-these are cool, desireable boats!

S

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
It's definitely on the list. :)

When we move up from the boat I'm fixing up now (isn't that always the way - looking for the next boat as soon as you get one) we'll be looking for something we can do some extended regional cruising on. After that the next step will probably be a season to the tropics. I was imagining we'd move up again at that point to a 40-footer, but if we could do that on the next boat, rather than moving up again, it would be really nice. A 36 footer is a managable size/expense for the next boat, and since this model incorporates a kids cabin and a separate parents cabin with distinct Nav station, I think it could really provide the needed space for a season in the islands for us and our two little ones. (Then we'll buy the Amel 54 once we decide we're going all the way around! :D)

I like the big cockpit and all the deck real estate for the little skippers too.

It might take some creativity to put a dodger and/or bimini up, but I'm sure there's a solution to that. One listing on Yachtworld (in Mexico) had a pilot house built over the front of the cockpit. Looks awfully strange from the front, but I do love a hard dodger for cruising. Interesting idea anyways. Might be a prettier way to do that.

Ahhhh . . . don't ya just love dreamin'? :D Soon enough. Soon enough. :)

Nate

Last edited: