• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Atomic 4 Oil Change

Gary Freeburg

Member II
Is there no oil filter on the older (1973 vintage) A-4's? The manual I have says to just change the oil, drain and fill with 30W oil. I noticed Art Mullinax posted this same question last year and I didn't see a response. I found two drain plugs but no internal/external filter? No filter does save a couple of bucks at each oil change (50-75 hours) but certainly doesn't feel right to me. .

Gary Freeburg
SV Katmai E27

dwigle

Member III
no oil filter

There is no filter as original equipment on the A4. However, Indigo Electronics sells a nice kit to add one which gave me great peace of mind on my previous boat.

Don
Wiggle Room
E 38 #8

Art Mullinax

Member III
Nope, No oil filter

Still hadn't found it. I thought folks didn't reply just so I would keep looking. Sorta like sending the new kid after a brick stretcher or a bucket of steam. The add on kits are installed so that only part of the oil is filtered. It works on the premise that over a period of running time all of it will eventually be filtered. Remember to put about a half pint of Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase at each oil change...

Gary Freeburg

Member II
Glad to know that I'm not blind in my inability to find the filter..and Art, I've gone for my share of "lunchline" in the past. I stopped by my local auto parts store and checked on external oil filters and found some possibilities that looked like the Indigo setup (the guy was going to check into it for me). While there, I found a nifty oil pump (multi-use) for extracting oil when change time comes. Best thing, this pump was only $10.88 rather than WM $42.95, they both look and work the same!
Thanks for the information.
Gary Freeburg
SV Katmai E27

hcpookie

Member III
I bought one of those fluid transfer pumps... not good for oil! The viscosity is what kills you. Great for gasoline, water, etc. but not thick oil. You'll get sore arms if you use one of these.

Taking a hint from a web page I found while searching for Atomic 4 info, I rigged my oil gauge hole with a tee fitting and installed a drain cock. Now I can change the oil by "running the engine dry". You really don't run it dry, but you do get the majority of the oil removed via the oil pump.

I'm looking to get an Indigo system in the near future.

Emerald

Jerry (hcpookie),

I would never pump an engine dry like you describe. The risk is not worth it.

There is a drain plug in the bottom of the A4 pan. I never had any problem on my E-27 putting a small pan or jug that fit under the engine and draining the thing the way it was meant to be.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
You will find the fluid transfer pumps work great if you change the oil when it is still warm. I tried when it was cold and got no where. I agree with emerald the run dry method is not good for your bearings and you will never get as much oil out as if you drained or pumped out. The oil pump intake sits slightly off the bottom of the pan to prevent you from sucking up any chunks...

Gary Freeburg

Member II
Thanks for the information. I had one of the WM oil pumps for my 16hp diesel and would change the oil every 50 hours. I let the pump go with the boat (E 30+) when I sold it. It did work great when the oil was very warm and I plan on running up the old A-4 to thin out the viscosity of the oil before pumping. The drain plug under the engine has about 2" - 3" of clearance, it may be a tight fit with a pan but I may look into the possibility of letting gravity do the job if I can collect the oil without going headfirst into the bilge with it.
Gary Freeburg
SV Katmai E 27

Emerald

If you've got a really tight place, try cutting a hole in the side of a jug to drain into. Often if I can't slide a pan in, a laundry detergent or whatever plastic container will fit, and a quick cut, and you have a custom drain pan.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald