• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1978 E30 w/ transom mounted rudder

L124C

Member I
I'm considering buying a Ericson 30. The boat has a trasom mounted rudder, Keel stepped mast, and very beefy chain plates. In general, it looks much sturdier than most E 30's and 32's I've seen. In fact, it looks like it could take on blue water with few worries. I see few references to this model, and none currently for sale. I'm wondering why I don't see more of them. Please share any info you have on the design.
Stats.
L.O.A. 29-11 Beam 10-08 Ballast 4000 lb. Displacement 8,990

Alan

There were only 47 of these made. I have no idea why, but it was superceded by the E30+, which has a fractional rig, deck stepped mast, and a structural grid under to sole liner. I raced a fractional rig Lightning for 20 yrs and kind of miss the easy control of mainsail shape and power that you get with that rig. However, I have no complaints. It sails very well and is balanced at all angles of heel. I suppose that it goes to weather relatively well with the high aspect rig, but it may also be said that the relatively small main - compared to the 30+, may be less advantageous for going off the wind. However, it doesn't need reefing as soon. On the other hand, the relatively large jib makes roller furling desirable.
Mine does not have roller furling like the one on Craig's list does, but came with a new mylar main and a new symmetrical spinnaker. I bought it for $14k in 2002 from a broker after knocking the price down from $18k. I have subsequently spent a bit on it - new cushions, wheel pilot, & M3-20B engine(not yet installed - it will replace a Yanmar YSM12 that still runs fine). I still want to put a heater in the boat for cruising, replace the headliner, and maybe replace some of the standing rigging - it's probably original. It's not a cheap hobby, but life is not all about making investments that make sense to the average person.
If I had been more knowledgable about old keel boats, I think I would have driven a harder bargain. There is no end to the bucks and time that can go into an old boat unless you just want to use it up without adding improvements. I bought an Ericson specifically for its build quality and for its sailing characteristics. And I am satisfied

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Great Boat

This is one of the better E-boats overall. True, it is pre-TAFG, but this boat was built pretty beefy using the old methods. This rig was very well suited to the hull, and the outboard rudder is much bigger than that on the 30+ and should make it much nicer in heavy weather.

Besides the 36RH, it is one of my favorite E-boats-you will like it very much, and welcome!

S

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Tafg

Tri-Axial Force Grid..uh, er, this is really just a fancy marketing name for a new structural arrangement that began slightly with the 30+, and debuted in full development when we introduced the Ericson 38 (1980?), and has been a trademark of all the E-boats built since. It is a composite grid bonded to the hull of the boat, to which all structural bulkheads, chainplates, engine and keel are attached. It distributes these loads throughout the boat, reducing point loads and making for a very strong, stiff boat without excess weight.

Ta-da!
S