• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Storm Jib

jkm

Member III
Gentlemen/Salts

I plan to take my boat down to the Sea of Cortez and park it there for a while. The outfitting goes slowly-beer gets in the way. I have gotten two self tailing winches, which will go in soon-far aft.

Should I get a storm jib? Are there different sizes?

john

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Assuming you have roller furling, you aren't going to want to try to take down your big genoa when the wind pipes up because you'll have to roll it all the way out, then try to keep it on deck - too dangerous. So I'd either decide that your genoa can be rolled down to a useful size (might be worth having foam or line sewn into your luff to make it reef flatter), or get a storm sail that can be hanked over the rolled-up genoa. Has anyone put in a solent-stay for this type of use? Would that be practical?

Steve Swann

Member III
Yes, John, there are different sizes, and yes, I would recommend having one in the Sea of Cortez - if for nothing else, setting it at anchor during a blow can really calm the motion. The winds can really pipe up in a hurry, sometimes with literally no warning. Northers, chubascos, elephantes, and psycho winds, are all common names down there.

Any competent sailmaker will be able to assist you with proper size and various options for your boat. I had a very small one made for my 25', yours will likely be the next size up, but they are surprisingly small until the wind starts to blow the tops off the waves, then they seem kinda big.

jkm

Member III
Steve

I've flown to Catalina with a Santa Ana, but never used a storm jib for anchoring. What size did you have? I might try to find one already made from a second hand shop?

John

Gary G

Member II
ATN makes a storm sail (Gale Sail (TM), I think) that hanks on over a furled head sail. I have not used one but one of my harbor neighbors has one and though has only occassionally deployed it seems to like it - very convenient.

Steve Swann

Member III
John,

My storm sail is approx. 22 square feet, bright orange, and is a hank-on. I paid $315 for it new in the bag. I threw the broken roller furling overboard when I bought the boat and decided to just use hank-ons for all my sails up forward (since I am trailerable, this is less complicated). If you do have roller furling, the one Gary G is talking about would be a nice addition and darn convenient.

Steve

jkm

Member III
Nate, Steve and Gary

Thanks for the input. Seems that ATN has s slick unit. I already have their bosuns chair, if the quality is the same I do ok.

John

P Abele

Member II
Our E33 came with a storm jib which was brand new in the bag when we bought her 5 yrs ago and has never been used by me. It is not a hank-on type but has a bolt rope to go up one of the slots of our Furlex headstay foil. I can roll it out and measure it up if you would like but suspect it may be on the small side of okay for your boat. Drop me a line if you might be interested.

Pete in VT
pete_n_tara@msn.com

Seth

Sustaining Partner
should be very close

Actually, it should be very close to perfect-they I and J are close enough that it is worth a look. The best thing is to get the luff, leech and foot or the storm jib (they all vary), and then have a sailmaker lay it on the sailplan for the 35-or, just post the numbers here and I can give you a good idea of how it will fit.
S

P Abele

Member II
I measured up the sail last night and took some photos as well. The deatils are:

Luff: 284"
Leech: 206"
Foot: 138"

I hadn't remembered before, but saw that the sail has grommets along the luff as well. I would be interested in finding a new home for this esentially brand new sail so please let me know if anyone might be interested and I can provide more detials and photos. Thanks.

Pete A.