• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

standing rigging specs- E-25??

briangsmith

Member II
i need to know the correct, i.e. original, wire size for my
1978 E-25 c/b. don't seem to find anywhere in the available
literature...

thanks, as always~

bgs

briangsmith

Member II
ps - up-size wire??

... and, what is the conventional wisdom on going to a slightly
larger size wire on one's standing rigging? or does this then put an
excessive load on chainplates, mast, hull, etc...

bgs

Emerald

I've just learned this first hand the hard way. Here's the basic run down. There are two type of stainless wire rope that have been widely used. They are a 304 alloy and a 316 alloy. The 304 alloy is stronger than the 316 alloy, but the 316 alloy is more corrosion resistant. For example, 7/32 wire in 304 has a tensile strength of about 6300 lbs. 7/32 wire in 316 has a tensile strength of about 5250 lbs - about 1000 lbs less. If you are replacing 304 wire with 316 wire, you need to go up one size to account for the difference in tensile strength. Finally, most older rigging e.g. original equipment on Ericsons, will be 304.

Do be aware that there are points where pin size change as you go up in wire size. In my case of replaceing 7/32 with 1/4, I didn't have much of an issue.

A final thought, if you are doing all your standing rigging, spend the extra couple hundred bucks to replace all mast tangs, toggles and bolts that attatch the stuff. These pieces wear out also. In my case, my mast was made by LeFiell, and I was able to have all the stuff on my doorstep for less than $250.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald