• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pics of an E38 with a bulb keel!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I finally remembered to bring my camera to the boat today. When I purchased this E38 there was some discussion about the keel. AFAIK, there was never a bulb keel offered by Ericson. Someone indicated this may be a Mars Metal keel mod. I still don't know much about it but here it is:
RT

Attachments

• Ericson 38 007.jpg
    Ericson 38 007.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 495
  • Ericson 38 008.jpg
    Ericson 38 008.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 453
  • Ericson 38 010.jpg
    Ericson 38 010.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 629

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Was it already a shallow keel model? I thought that the aft edge of the deep keel models had a forward slope giving the keel its distinctive delta wing shape.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Shoal draft

Yep, that looks exactly like the shoal draft keel that my 38 had. I would guess that the PO just wanted to try and make the boat a bit less tender by adding the extra weight of the Mars Metal bulb.

My shoal draft 38 was certainly tender enough that it could have used the modification. I usually reduced sail in anything over 12 kts true.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Anyone want to hazard a guess at how much weight that bulb adds? Is there is formula for figuring how much more righting moment it would produce? Just curious. An overly tender boat will not be a good thing as the wife doesn't care for heeling.... I am thinking the bulb is a good thing for me too. RT

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I'm sure Mars metal can calculate all of that for you. Might be worth contacting them.

That keel certainly does look a lot like their add-on bulb.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Chris,
I am 6ft tall and the top of my head is dead level with the edge of the bottom paint. Subtract the 7 1/2-8inches of keel blocking leaves 5' 2" to 5' 3" Obviously the boat doesn't sit right at the bottom paint line when in the water, I am guessing it may sit with about 1-2inches exposed based on the "scum ring" in the paint. I have yet to see it in the water! So maybe she draws 5' to 5' 1" I think the stock draft was 4' 11" so thats not a huge increase. RT

clohman

Member II
Mine has the same "bulb" keel. The PO in St. Petersburg, FL had a local yard chop it from 6 ft to 4.5 ft (as well as the rudder) and install the MARS "bulb." Interstingly, the PO had the two sides weighted to offset a slight port list. The boat performs well, although I have no experience with the original configuration.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Chip,
That is very interesting, thanks for sharing. Is the trailing edge of your keel straight up and down like mine? I thought the deep draft models the trailing edge angled forward? Got any pics? I am just asking as I am not sure if mine was a deep draft that has been cut or just a shallow draft with added ballast. I emailed Mars but they haven't responded. Thanks, RT

therapidone

Member III
Our E/30+ has the same configuration. Somehwere in the papers from the PO, there was something from Mars Metal. There was a shoal draft version of the E/30+, but ours, purchased originally on the left coast, was not the shoal version. We are either the 3rd or 4th owners of Spirit & somebody before the PO from whom we purchased it had the modification made, shaving about a foot from the fin & adding the bulb to make up for the lost ballast. We now supposedly draw 4' 9" instead of 5' 10"...the production, shoal version of the E/30+, according to the sales brochure available online (either here or Pacific Seacraft) was only 4'.