• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

outboard for Ericson 29

usmcgrizz

Member I
Has anyone configured an E 29 with an outboard engine? My Atomic 4 may not last much longer and this seems like a reasonable alternative to an expensive diesel retrofit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

David Brockett
Ericson 29 "Young@AHeart"
Port Orchard, Wa

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Rebuild the A4 dont kill a great boat. I will share info as needed. You know the A4 is a great engine and an outboard will not work well.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I've seen rebuilt or removed-running small diesels sold in my area on craigslist for under $2000, and frankly, you'll pay nearly that much for an outboard. An outboard hung on the transom will be vulnerable to swamping, damage from docking, etc, and won't work well if there's any chop, because way out back there, it will constantly be cavitating as the stern pitches up and down.

I'd definitely spend your $2000 on rebuilding the A4, or repowering with a little old diesel.

wanderer

Member II
NateHanson said:
I've seen rebuilt or removed-running small diesels sold in my area on craigslist for under $2000, and frankly, you'll pay nearly that much for an outboard. An outboard hung on the transom will be vulnerable to swamping, damage from docking, etc, and won't work well if there's any chop, because way out back there, it will constantly be cavitating as the stern pitches up and down.

I'd definitely spend your $2000 on rebuilding the A4, or repowering with a little old diesel.

i'd have to agree. they're such easy motors to work on.
do a compression test on it first get a gauge of where it's at.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
You didn't say why you suspect the A4 will die. Sticking valves, blown head gasket, carb, or ignition repairs would cost less than an engine mount. Last runthrough on an overhaul parts list was lewss than $750 from Moyer Marine I threw in $100 into the proce for whatever I forgot, add a little machine work cost. This engine is simpler to work on than a toaster and a lot more fun. The only part you should dread would be paying for the beer to get a few friends to help lift it out and into your buddy's truck to get it home.

Some one on this website can guide you through the job and when you are through think of the added confidence you will have when you are out and something does goes wrong. Outboards are dependable but when they fail it takes a special part to make it run again, the A4 can be fixed with a file for the points, a change of fuel filter or a tap on the carb.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Marvel Mystery Oil

Before you give up on the A4, try a little Marvel Mystery Oil. It works wonders at un-sticking rings and valves. When changing oil I put a pint in the crankcase and 5-6 oz with 5 gal of gas. Do this and motor around the lake for a couple of hrs to circulate the oil and loosen things up. You'll hear a difference in the A4.
Oh, and by the way, other than paying out the nose for gas, I'm not affiliated with any oil co.

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Art for a minute I thought you were referring paying out the nose for gas for the A4. I have been trying to run my boat out of gas for over a year to allow the removal of the tank for cleaning. How far will a 29 go on a tank of gas? I pumped about five gallons out last summer with a hand pump.

Does anyone know what type sealant to use on the fuel gauge sending unit to tank seal? Gas eats silicone.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Optional fuel gage.

Not sure how far I can go on a tank of gas. I can motor around the lake several times on 5 gallons. I usually put at least 5 gallons in the tank every year.
As far as sending unit, Don't have one. The last time I ran out of gas I took a 1/2" wooden dowel and ran it down the fill tube to the bottom of the tank. When I pulled it out, I put a pencil mark where the gas line was on the dowel (the pickup is not exactly on the bottom of the tank). I put in 2 gal of gas and repeated the pencil mark on the dowel. 2 gal will take me to and from anyplace on the lake. I now have pencil marks at, Empty, 2 gal, and 5 gal. Before I leave the boat, I use the dowel to see how much gas I need to bring to the boat next time. Simpler than a sending unit and works for me.