• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-2 Pentex 153% by Ullman

wurzner

Member III
I have an Ericson 32 153% #1 Genoa. The sail dimensions are 48 (I) and 23 (j). Thsi sail is really nice with only about 10 races on it. It has been stored off the boat and is in like new condition. Replacement cost is about $2400. Let me know if you are interested, I may sell it with the the boat put am putting it up for sale if someone is interested.

shaun
Seattle.

I can send photos if interested.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
What boat?

Shaun,

I gather you are selling the 32 since you bought a 38..cool.

Please double check those genoa dimensions-48 X 23 is WAY too big for any of the 32 rigs-old style or new.. Also, you referred to those dimensions as I and J, but I think you mean to say luff and foot, since the I and J are boat dimensions, not sail dimensions. Also keep in mind that it is the LP, NOT the foot, that is a function of J-so, if you have a J of 13.8 (newer 32-200), the LP of a 153% genny will be 21.11 feet. The foot will be close to this, sometimes up to almost a foot longer, but is not a function of the J or anything else-only the LP is related to the J..

The main is close to correct for an old style 32-2, but not exact, so what are those sails from???

Inquiring minds want to know!!:0305_alar

Cheers,

S

wurzner

Member III
Opps,

It was 38 foot hoist, not 48. As for the main, my mast was slightly taller or the boom a little lower than the specs. I forget the exact dimension and will measure when I get to the boat next. I believe the hoist on the the main should be 32.25 for something like that, but it ran a little more and was closer to 33. I'll get the exact dimensions, but these sails should fit a normal rig 32 or be slightly undersized for a 32 tall rig or the 153 would be fine for a 35. Seth, what would it cost to put luff tape on the headsail? It currently has hanks. Also, how would the pentex do as a roller furler? I don't think it would be a good idea, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for pointing out my discprepancies.

regards
shaun

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Ahhh, So!

Thought so-I just want to make sure you are able to sell it.

Right on all counts-I noticed the long main also, but since the space is available, why not..But I am confused-these numers sound like a 32-2-NOT a 32-200. your profile sez you have a 1986 32-200, correct? The 32-2 from the 70's has I=38, J=13,P=31.5,E=13 (which would make these sails close). The boom had a sliding gooseneck and there was at least a foot above the band available at the top, so a main with a luff of 32.75 could easily fit, and from what I recall of our correspondence, I always thought you has the older 32 (like the guy in SoCal). The 32-200 should be 42 X 13.8 X 36 X 11.5-so you main would be too short on the hoist and too long on the foot, and whether the J was 13 or 13.8, the 23' foot also seems a bit long.

Either way, these sound like sails for the older 32, and in the interest of getting them sold we shoud clear this up-sorry if I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but when I saw your profile I was confused for sure..Or, maybe I am having a senoir moment?
Over....
S

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
Seth,

The first posting was deleted right after I put it up since I knew I erred in the -200 designation. My profile says I have a 38-200 which I must say, felt good to update. Nothing against the 32-2, I really loved that boat and hope it sells to someone who will enjoy it and use it as much as I did. Also, thanks for keeping me honest and more importantly, making sure folks who are interested aren't wasting their time due to typos. By the way, how would a pentex sail do as a roller furler if you added a UV cover?

thanks
shaun

Seth

Sustaining Partner
oops!

Sorry, Shaun
I got all wrapped up in the boat thing and forgot your question (senior evening).

A conversion from hanks to luff tape should run between $7-8.50 per foot of luff length-Any more than $350 would seem high to me (for a 38 foot luff).

Nothing wrong with Pentex for a furler-it is better than dacron-just be sure and put a DACRON-NOT Sunbrella UV cover on it (also about $7-8 per foot-add leech and foot together for total).
Having said that-you do have to be careful about WHICH Pentex..If you use a sail that was built as a 150-153% sail, which will be a light-medium or AP Genoa-meaning it is not designed (strength wise) for winds much above 18-20 at most. I would limit the reduction in size to about 130% LP, and if it is more than 20 knots I would use a different sail.

When we build Pentex furlers from scratch, they usually start out as 130% or so, and are built with a fabric (still Pentex, but beefier) appropriate for winds where this sail and smaller would be used.-That is the only caveat in your situation. Because you have limited "reefing" ability with this sail, I would avoid going with the foam luff insert-you won't get as much benefit from it since you can't reef as deep with such a light sail..

Make sense? Still not sure which boat those used sails are for..
Seeya,
S

Seth

Sustaining Partner
It is all clear now!

Thanks Shaun!

Have I answered your other questions sufficiently?

windjunkee

Member III
I'm the So. Cal dude with the 32-2. I read with interest this thread but I remain confused based on all the subsequent replies as to whether these sails come off a vintage 32-2 or a 32-200. We're not in any need of another #1 genoa unless its a light #1, but a 153 would probably cause a ding to our PHRF rating.

However, we have a dacron main, albeit in pretty good condition, but if a really good laminate sail that fits our dimensions comes available, I'm interested.

As for Voice of Reason, we got our rudder back from Dennis Choate. It looks WAY different and much faster. As I told my partner after I picked it up from the yard "my CAR feels like its going faster even with the new rudder INSIDE the car."

I also picked up the new symmetrical spinnaker from Ullman -- .5 oz, 600 Airex material. Very nice. For those who want to know, a new sym. spinnaker from Ullman, approximately $2500.

I'll take pictures of the new rudder and post them when I do.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E32-2 Hull #134

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Can't wait

Jim,

Congrats-those sails WERE for your vintage 32, so should be about right. I thought you were running with 170's-so why would a 153 ding you? Even if you are rated with the standard 155%, this should be a no impact deal (IFAIK,SoCal PHRF "assumes" a 155%, and gives no credit for smaller-has this changed?).

We are all anxious to hear how you like the new blade-I think you will find the boat transformed-faster and higher upwind, and better all around steering authority-especially sliding down to Mexico.

BTW-Airex 600 is not really .5 oz. They make an AIREX 500 for that. The 600 (a perfect choice for you) is as strong or stronger than any of the old .75 oz sails, and should be essentially the kite you will use in all but the heaviest of air-it is light, yet very strong. That fabric is used as the med/hvy air kites on boats like FARR 40's, etc. Even the SC 70's will use this cloth well up into the high 20's TWS-so you will like it alot, I am sure! In very light air, instead of going to an older, ratty .5, is to just change to some ultra light sheets and go for it!:cool:

Cheers,
S