• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Current Slip Rates at Member Yacht Marinas [UPDATED 2022]

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thread formerly entitled

Protest Exorbitant Slip Rate Increases at California Yacht Marinas!​

Protest Exorbitant Slip Rate Increases at California Yacht Marinas!

I came home last night to find the following letter in my mail box. My current slip fees are $243.00 plus electric. They were roughly based on a rate of $8.50 per foot from when I first secured my slip back in 2002. Can they do this? Is there no rent control in San Pedro like there is at Shore Line Marina in Long Beach. This seem outrageous. Did any one else at California Yacht Marinas get such a big rate Increase. I thought the rates were high to begin with, but this is ridiculous!:esad: :boohoo: :eek: :mad:

Please read the following.

"There will be an adjustment in slip fees effective April 1, 2006. Commencing on April 1, 2006 your new slip fee is $285.00.

We recognize that your slip fee increase is considerable. For several years, your berthing fee was based on 27 lineal feet even though the slip you occupy is 30 feet. Your new slip fee is now consistent with all other customers at Cabrillo Marina where the slip fee is based on length of slip or vessel, whichever is greater. However, the per foot rate applied is at the lower rate for 27 foot vessels instead of the higher 30 foot rate. Your newly adjusted slip fee is 20 % less than those customers in similar size slips since April of 2005."

Sincerely

Cabrillo Marina

Office Manager

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yeah, they started doing that at my marina in early 2003 - going around with a measuring tape - pist off many people who turned around and left.

//sse

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks for feeling my pain Sean, the problem with moving is my options are pretty bleak. A lot of other marinas in the area are in pretty bad areas and not well maintained as well as a half hour inside the harbor by water. Some are even possibly going to be demolished as part of new harbor developments.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Sounds like there's not much to do about it. If they know that they're one of few good options in town, and are aware that you probably won't leave even with a huge hike, then they can pretty much do what they want. It's a bummer. Are those monthly rates you guys are discussing? Pretty stiff for a 27 footer. :(

Art Mullinax

Member III
Right Coast

They use the same measurement method here around Charleston SC. By the slip length or by the boat length, whichever is more (for them). The bow pulpit or bowsprit is also considered.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Jeff Asbury said:
...Some are even possibly going to be demolished as part of new harbor developments.

Oddly enough, after I left, that's what happened at Johnny's. They were/are really owned by an investment group, who then sold off the rights to that side of the waterway - so they tore their docks out and reconfigured what was left.

Then the new marina on the otherside of the waterway expanded, filling the space... Of course, rates went up to reflect the new 'quality' of improvement, I'm sure...

//sse

erobitaille

Member II
We have found here in S.F. Bay once one marina rases it's price all the others raise theirs with in week or two. Our just went from $7.25/ft to $8.00

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Bet their not paying $10.50 a foot up there in the Sound. California is just getting too damm expensive all around. They just might even start taxing the crappy air we breath here in LA.:mad:

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Only 285/month...

While I feel the grab on your wallet, it might make you feel better to know that there are people here in the Annapolis area that would kill for $285.00a month for a 27 footer. In fact most here have to pay for a 12 month contract even though the pay again for their time on the hard in the winter. That attacks the wallet twice from October - April.

OUCH!!!!:boohoo:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yikes! I didn't realize it was that bad on the East Coast. It just pisses me off that this is about a 20% increase. Works out to $504.00 more per year for me. They got me by the you know what's though. I'm thinking Alaska now! I know, a 3 month sailing season would be a harsh contrast to a 12 month. Would have to be cheaper though.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Naptown prices...

We left Annapolis 2 years ago-- Paying about $11 per foot for a 40 ft slip.
Things are better down where we are now- we're paying about $7 at one of the nicest marinas in town...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Moorage $$ blues

Point of reference (FWIW) --
A nice private marina slip for our 34 footer would run me about $180 to $220 a month or so, around here.
Our yacht club charges all dues, fees, and moorage in one quarterly billing, at about $380. Of course we all put in a mimimum of 12 work hours a year.

With our nice facility, the usual problem is asking enough of the right sort of questions, in direct and indirect ways, to see if an applicant wants to be an active member and is not solely taking advantage of our inexpensive moorage...
:rolleyes:

I would probably move my retirement domicile and sailboat to the SF Bay area in a minute, but my Oregon pension cannot support me down there.

The problem with SoCal (and Seattle, too) is that there are lots more boaters with money than there are marinas... and Capitalism works to your personal detriment in that situation.

(They may have tried to warn us of this back in Economics 101, but we laughed because we were young and strong and thought we would always manage to be on the "supply" side of the "supply and demand" equation. Ha!)
:boohoo:

Loren in Portland, OR
RCYC, 90 miles up the Columbia from the ocean

Emerald

Hi,

This is fun. I need to pinch myself to remember it's really true. I live in a community with it's own little marina. We have about 75 slips total. After Hurricane Isabel, we had massive pier damage, and the repairs for the pier had to get absorbed by slip fees. So, my annual fee for my slip for Emerald (she's almost 36' by the time you put the bowsprit in the equation - so it's one of our "big" slips) has risen to a whopping $400/year, and this is on the Severn River about 3.5 miles from the mouth/Chesapeake Bay right at the heart of Annapolis. For my $400 a year, I get unlimited water and electricity (we even have some stray electricity in the water for those who can figure out what to do with it...), and about two years ago, the community purchased a mobile pump out unit, so I can deal with the holding tank as well. I figure Emerald is about 400 feet from my doorstep.

Sorry if this depresses anyone, but I couldn't resist :devil:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Dan Hayes

Member III
The Sad Truth About Our Sport

Yes, but...

I just walked outside to snag a sandwich from the sandwich vendor. It's chilly today - about 62 degrees, and there is not a cloud in the sky. There's a nice 10 knot breeze blowing, and I know that if I go online, I can find a weather report that's going to tell me that it's blowing a good 15 down at the boat... and it's been like that all week. It's going to rain tomorrow, but the weekend is slated for more of the same... all sun, no clouds, no rain - just pretty darn un-dramatically perfect for winter sailing... And everybody driving on Pacific Coast Highway is dreaming about owning a boat.

However, down in Newport Beach, slip rent is - honestly - $25 to $40 a foot, per month, for a 40 foot slip. You can rent a mooring for $300 a year, but - there is a 40 year waiting list. The way things work around here, if you buy a $500 boat for $40,000, you can have that mooring today.

The really sad part about our sport is that the numbers don't crunch for the average person, especially a young person, to get into it, unless you are wealthy. Boat builders, who usually make about 25% profit, would rather build one $100,000 boat to make $25k, not 4 $25,000 boats to make $25k. While I can't blame them, it's why boat ownership is decreasing, despite all the used boats on the market.

Same deal for slips - why rent four 20 foot slips for $10 a foot, when they can get $30 a foot for one 80 foot slip? And, the guy with the 80 footer isn't griping like we are...

For now, I'm going sailing every chance I get, while I can afford it!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Wise words!

Well said Dan, :(

Thank you for slapping a little sense into me. This post will hopefully be the last of the whining you will here from me for a while. I knew Newport was expensive, but I had no idea how expensive. I will have to try to cut some corners else where in my budget to do it, but I am staying put for now.

Thank You

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
David / Emerald,

You are one lucky SOB. My Father used to rent a dock from a neighbor across the street from our house on Lake Washington in Bellevue, WA for about 10 bucks a month in the late 70's & early 80's. Those were the days!

Emerald

Hi Jeff,

I admit it, and as I said earlier, I have to pinch myself to see if this is a dream. The truth is, if I had to pay the going 3-5K that people pay around here, it could prevent me from having her at all - just that extra cash flow that could break the camel's back. I really do feel for folks who have to pay high rates, or have to give up the sport - it's sad.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Dan Hayes

Member III
Next time you're out sailing near a dock full of people, like over near Ports of Call, and you see people lined up looking at you, just remember - all the times you stood on the dock and dreamed of someday having a sailboat. You'll smile, wave, and at that time, your slip rent will seem like a bargain...

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Jeff Asbury said:
Bet their not paying $10.50 a foot up there in the Sound. California is just getting too damm expensive all around. They just might even start taxing the crappy air we breath here in LA.:mad:

Actually, we're typically paying between $8.00 and $11.00 per foot - see attached for Shilshole - depending on where you put it (fresh water tends to be more expensive - if you're willing to put it on the other side of the Sound, it drops quite a bit - of course, then you have a ferry to contend with...).

I was going to add that I remember the big electricity shortage back in 2001 (?) - and my marina added an 'electrical surcharge' onto my bill - and never took it off again once the 'crisis' went away... :mad:

This is the reason that whenever one of my (non-boating) friends makes a comment about 'yachts' or 'yacht owners', they end up with a 15 minute lecture from me about how much most owners sacrifice to own their boats - and how (for the most part) non of us are rich...:esad:

...money-wise, I mean... :egrin:

//sse

ps: I think this response qualifies as a RANT! :hoppingmad:

Attachments

• SBM_Rates_2005.pdf
    26.6 KB · Views: 101