• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

rudder 1967 E 30

helmsman

Anyone out there pulled a rudder
apart on an older (1967) E -30.

What can I expect... no apparent
problems yet but how is it built.

Aloha

Mike Dixon

Emerald

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Nice David.

What source do you use for your fiberglass supplies and foam? Have you (or anyone) used Mertons in MA?

Also, how do you get the foam to fill in without leaving voids in areas of the rudder interior?

Nate

Emerald

Hi,

I have recently started (two orders now) to get my materials from U.S. Composites, which can be found here:

http://www.shopmaninc.com/index.html

So far, I have been very pleased with their service and price.

I had a very nice conversation with Foss Foam in California (there's another in FL, not sure of the relation), and given my repair and approach, I am using the 8lb density foam you can find listed here:

http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

I will note, that this is a lighter density than what Foss is using in new construction, but because of having to do many small batches - don't want to explode it - and a couple other issues I'll write up on the website as I add the foam pouring section, we believe that the 8lb will be sufficient, and is better than what was there. Apparently, Ericson was on and off again with Foss, at least with the Independence 31. While some of the Independnce 31 rudders were built by Foss, based on my description, Foss doesn't believe they built my particular rudder, and the foam as I described it to them would appear to be a lighter density that what they use.

I expect to finish the rudder repair off in the next week. I'll update my projects page accordingly.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald