• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tuck Tape stains on gelcoat

Jarod

Member III
Hi There,

I was using red tuck tape to hold up the 6 mill poly skirt around my boat while painting the bottom. The residue left was a nightmare to get off and took me two 8 hr days but i finally removed all...but now i have a bit of pink staining that looks pretty bad. I need some recommendations (so far i have read clorox bleach and FSR may help). I called the manufacturer and they say this is an ink that is left over from the tape...i tried solvent but no luck there it doesnt even touch it. PLEASE HELP I DONT WANT PINK STRIPES....

thanks jarod

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Not sure what to try for the stains but for the glue 3M Adhesive Remover is great stuff. Its primary ingredient is naptha so I guess you could use that and it would be cheaper but i have not tried.

jkm

Member III
The easiest way to get the tape residue off is with WD-40. It'll clean it up right away.

You might try some hand cleaner

John

u079721

Contributing Partner
Oxalyic acid

Does sound as if what you need now is a bleach to deal with the residual dye that is absorbed by the gel coat. Two things I would suggest are toilet bowl cleaner and oxalyic acid.

Remember to wear gloves and goggles!