• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Relocating winches aft 35' MKII

jkm

Member III
I want to get some new winches and mount them back so I can adjust my jib without leaving the wheel well.

Any ideas on reasonable priced units? What size do I need as I only do coastal trips in So Cal?

John

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Go BIG or go home!

There are many options out there for used winches. What I can say for sure is that you can't have too large of a winch-get the biggest one you can find that will fit the coaming-I would even consider a large plate underneath so a larger diameter winch (than the space available) could be used..Since you are looking for used, you can afford to go bigger.

A bigger winch as many advantages-obviously easier trimming from behind the wheel where your ergonomic angle may not be ideal, but also for odd jobs like winching someone from in the water, kedging off the bottom, etc.

Go big and you will be glad you did not skimp on winch size!!
Cheers,

chaco

Member III
Check out Minneys in Costa Mesa (949.548.4192) they will be able to help
you. Probably won't find newer self tailers. Will post pics of my stern
winches for referance. Put 1/8"SS plate 2" outside the footprint min under winch for support. www.minneysyachtsurplus.com
Happy Winches /) /)

Glyn Judson

John, If you're willing to include used wnches in your search, might I suggest that you go to the Good Old Boat Magazine website and click on their listing of Consignment stores? I did just what you're talking about when one of my original Barlow ST, one-speed primaries blew up. there was no way I was going to be able to replace just that one so I launched a search for the prefect replacement. Just as I was about to plunk down $2,400.00 for a pair of ST two-speed Harken 32's I thought to check that phone list. I found the perfect pair of used ST two-speed Barlow 23's in excellent shape that cost me $650.00 plus $25.00 shipping. I had the worn chrome stripped from them and they now grace my boat displaying a very salty green patina along with much of the rest of the deck hardware. As a matter of fact, as I type this note, I'm in the process of negotiating the purchase of a way cool traditional bronze windlass from a contact I made on that same consignment list. I'll tell you all about it after the deal is done. Glyn

Art Mullinax

Member III
Standard winch sizes

Any specific reason the winch MFG's don't use a standard system for the size? Barient is different than barlow which is different than harken, etc.

chaco

Member III
Fore and Aft Winches

Here is the Fore and Aft Winch setup on the E35-11.
Notice that the Aft Winch is smaller and works just fine.
They are two-speed, (1) Stainless Steel and (1) Bronze.
Will get the make and model.

See you at Minneys Swap Meet :egrin: :egrin: /) /)

Attachments

• 101_0110.JPG
    101_0110.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

jeff_mc

Member I
hi john,

ours is rigged for single handed, all lines run to the cockpit. looks a lot like chacos image, works great, only have to leave the wheel to grab a beer.

we are right around the corner, stop by any time.

jeff

jkm

Member III
Jeff

I visited Biego on Monday, beautiful yacht. Did notice an empty diet pepsi can in the pit!!! Will be seeing you soon.

Everyone who has given me their advice. Heartfelt thanks. I now know that self tailing is the only way to go and bigger the better. Been following ebay and will now try other sources like Minneys.

Thanks everyone!!!

John

Glyn Judson

Jeff and all, You might remember the other day my suggesting the Consignment Stores list on Good Old Boat's website as a good resource for possibly finding the winches you need. You'll also remember I mentioned that I was in the middle of getting a windlass for our boat from that list. Well as an incentive to take that list seriously, I'll now tell you that today I just closed the deal on an Ideal windlass model V1A, capstain only (what I wanted, not with gypsy, almost $2,200.00 new). The motor needs to be rebuilt (OK with me) and the chrome needs to be stripped off back to bronze. GSo gven the state of the motor, they sold it to me for $50.00 plus $50.00 UPS shipping from Florida to Santa Monica CA. If I were you, I'd really give that list a serious chance. From what I've seen at Minny's in the way of winches, they have a great selection of them for boats of the '60's era and Mega winches waaay too big for our boats and nothing in between unless you get there just at the right time. Maybe they have so much foot traffic, the good ones disappear right away. Good luck, Glyn

chaco

Member III
Saw (2) Barient Anodized Brown WINCHES-excellent condition @ Minneys
02.15.06....$495 for the PAIR !...SS $1400/Pair.
Let them know you are LOOKING FORWARD to the SWAP MEET in
June. They are considering not doing it for LACK OF INTEREST ?
I have accumulated way to much Nautical Stuff for this not to happen !
The Booths are only $30....see you there !

Happy Picken /) /)