• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Measurements for Barient 10 and 18

Mindscape

Member III
Does anyone know have the measurements for the base diameter and height for the cabin top winches on a 32-3. They are Barient 10's and an 18. I'm looking at replaceing these and would like to get something close. Looked in the docs section and didn't find anything. Still searching on the web. I won't be able to get up to the boat for a couple of weeks so I thought I would see if anyone could help.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I replaced my main halyard winch with a Lewmar 16. Base diameter is about the same, but of course, it is taller since it is self-tailing.

Mindscape

Member III
Any issues

Geoff - I have some pictures that you posted of your replacement - looks good! Any issues with the increased height? I couldn't think of any. Did you get the alloy or chrome 16ST's? They look like chrome in the picture.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
There is a little less "headroom" inside the doger. However, it's not really an issue since the E32's main is small enough to be able to hoist it by hand 90% of the way. The winch handle can be used in a radius of only about 120 degrees. The self-tailing on that winch is a huge impovement as it allows the final hoist to be a one-handed operation. (I see no need to replace the headsail haylyard winch since that sail gets hoisted once a season). My winch is aluminum. it's a nice winch, but in my opinion, not quite as rugged at the Barient it replaced (which was a two speed, unlike the Lewmar, not that two speeds are necessary there). The only other winches I have replaced are the genoa sheet winches, where I used Harken 46STA's.

Last edited:

Mindscape

Member III
Main Sheet winch

Geoff - what do you do with the main sheet. I was planning to the winch i use for it as well. Do you use a winch for the mainsheet or just for the halyard?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Don't forget when you mount the new winches to position the drive gear so it hit the drum at the point the load hits this will prolong bearing life.

cawinter

Member III
Measurements

Frank,

I have 10, 18, 21 and 27 with full documentation and specs. I sent this to Sean a while back for publication to the site. If you need the sheets for the 10 and 18 I can scan in tomorrow and send you via pdf.

Mindscape

Member III
Docs

Chris - if you've got them for the 10 and 18 and they are not published somewhere here (and I overlooked them) it would be great if you could send them to me. Thanks!!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Have Docs to Upload?

Chris -

If you have them in pdf form, please upload them (via Windows Internet Explorer) to the ftp site:

ftp://ftp.ericsonyachts.org/incoming

Attached to this email is a text file that describes how to upload docs - but basically, you go to the address above (in MS Internet Explorer), and drag-n-drop them.

On the hard copies - if they were forwarded to me prior to August 2004, it's possible they were lost or misplaced during the move. I broke down my household and merged it (when I got married) prior to my returning to school. I apologize for this, however there was quite a bit of chaos as you might imagine (two households merging - tons of stuff being given away, etc).

I've had other docs sent to me recently (last week, I believe), which I've uploaded, so I'm happy to do it - and it speeds things up greatly when they're already in pdf format and I don't have to scan it...

Thanks,
//sse

Attachments

• EYo_ Uploading_Docs_ FAQ.txt
    780 bytes · Views: 202

cawinter

Member III
Docs for 10 and 18

Here they are. I am waiting for Sean to get back to me, and I'll send him one for the 27 as well.

Attachments

• Barient 10.pdf
    90.9 KB · Views: 632
  • Barient 18.pdf
    91.3 KB · Views: 620

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Docs Uploaded...

Done - I uploaded both the Barient manuals to the documents section - thanks again for the submission, Chris...

If there are any other docs that I owe you guys, please pipe up and let know, ok? I'm quite brain-dead these days. I have a project due in seven hours (8 am) and a mid-term exam after that - no sleep tonight - so unless I hear, I'll assume we're square.... :0305_coff

Thanks,
//sse

cawinter

Member III
Barient 27 Info

Glad to have been of assistance. The sheets really helped when I cleaned up everything.

Sean, here is the last one for the 27, which is also found on the stock 34.

Attachments

• Barient 27.pdf
    128.4 KB · Views: 180