• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spreader brackets/mast repair

Don Smith

Member II
The port side spreader bracket is coming loose from the mast on my E26. Inspection reveals corrosion on the mast to the extent that it's a structural issue which needs to be fixed now. Two questions:

(1) A local boat repair guy with a good reputation for honesty and quality work recommends that the mast be taken down and an aluminum backing plate much bigger than the hole in the mast be epoxied inside the mast, and then a similiar aluminum plate be expoxied to the outside, then the two plates riveted together through the mast. The spreader bracket would then be riveted to the repair plates. This makes sense to me, but my knowledge/experience with such things is limited.

Any comments or suggestions?

(2) The spreader mounting bracket is made of stainless steel and no doubt this is the main cause of the corrosion, due to the dissimilar materials, ss and aluminum, being in direct contact. I've seen some boats that appear to have aluminum spreader mounting brackets and I'm wondering if any of you know where I can get such brackets? I'm aware that a piece of rubber or something can be used as a gasket between the bracket and mast, but my guess is that an aluminum bracket would be the best solution.

Thanks in advance your input.

Captain Don
Gitana

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Aren't there repair sleeves available to repair damaged masts? It might be simpler to get one of these. A sleeve slid down over the damaged area would reinforce the whole mast section and not just the rotted area. Its possible there is also corrosion on the other side/inside you cannot see and the sleeve would take care of this as well? I think the epoxy repair would work okay but keep an eye on it. Sleeve would be a no-worries repair. My 2cents, RT

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Mast repair

I would suggest you go to Kenyon or Forespar (I'm assuming one of those is the original mast supplier), tell them the situation, and have them send a sleeve or do the repair as they suggest before messing around with a local rigger.

If you are talking about the 1960's E 26, then I might agree with your plan, but it sounds like you have a newer model, and IIRC, those are the likely suspects for the original suppliers.

They can and will help you through this-some of the riggers at Forespar are old sailing buddies of mine, so check this option out first.

Let us know if you need more help!

S