• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Time to fly!

Kim Schoedel

Member III
I am a real newbe to asymetrical spinakers/genakers whatever. The application will be on our newly purchased 1984 35-3. I have lots of questions and look forward to any guidance from all you Ericson guru's out there. My wife and I sail (normally short handed) on Lake Pend Oreille in North Idaho. Yes, I will probably race, but mostly cruising and having fun.

I understand that the 35's may have been set up with the extra shiv for the spinaker halyard. Currently there is no halyard visible. The easiest operation of this new sail is very important as I do solo the boat alot, a dousing sock is a must. The only local loft is Yager Sails here in Spokane, WA. And I have not made contact yet.

In addition, I am hoping that there is a loft available that will have all the data on the boat to "set me up right". Thanks,

Kim Schoedel
Windfall 84 35-3

Mindscape

Member III
A-sail

Kim - once you get the hang of it - the a-sail is great. We fly one on our 32-3 (we being myself and my wife). If you search on he word 'a-sail' you should get a hit on a bunch of good info from Seth and some of the other folks out there that know a lot about flying an a-sail.

Have fun!!

escapade

Inactive Member
Spin halyards

Kim
I believe all the late model Ericson's have the scheave for a spinnaker halyard built into the masthead. You'll need to send someone up the mast in a bosun's chair to drop a small line strong enough to pull the new halyard through with a heavy sinker or other weight on it. Fish this out of the halyard exit on the side of the mast and tie the other end to your new halyard. Carefully pull this through and your all set. Lead your halyards to the cockpit (if not allready) and you'll be all set. A-sails w/snuffer work good short handed but a spinnaker pole will also come in handy at times.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

Glyn Judson

Passing a line down the mast.

All, A neat trick to get a line over the mast sheave and down the inside of the mast is to attach an 1/8" Dacron Line (West Marine in 50' hanks or equal) to an old CLEANED bicycle chain. The chain gives the flexability and weight necessary to make a joy out of a chore. Use something as simple as a bent coat hanger to fish the chain out of the slot of the mast near the deck. Once you have the messenger line up, in and out of the mast, tie the halyard to the Dacron. Wrap the joint of the two lines with masking tape making a taper and gently pull the halyard into place. Glyn

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
That's a great tip glyn. I hadn't heard that before.

Anyone have a trick for making sure you don't cross halyards, or go on the wrong side of a tang bolt when reaving a new halyard. Either can result in a broken halyard at the worst time, or even worse, damage to the stuff that keeps the stick up.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Nate,
I watched a guy on a bosun's chair do something like this many years ago. The chair was attached to the iron hook on the yard crane. It was an entertaining hour...
The idea is to get the bike chain and attached line to feed down smoothly and avoid (as much as possible) being wrapped around other internal lines and also go on the approprite side (or fore or aft) of the spreader tube(s) inside.

Tension up all the other halyards so they are bar tight. Whichever side of the spar you want to exit the new line, heel the boat a few degrees in that direction while you feed down the the new tag line-and-bike-chain.
A short piece of stiff wire with a hook in the end will work to reach into the exit slot and extract the tag line assembly.

Do not consume alcohol before doing any of this, but have a six-pack of microbrew handy for the celebration later!
:)
And if that doesn't work, blame it all on listening to strangers on the internet!
:rolleyes:

Seriously, best of luck to you,

Loren

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I've done it on a mast that's laid on horses in the yard, but that way I could sight up the inside of the mast at the end to see where it had run, and that it was fair. Certainly sounds a little trickier from aloft!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Silenced, for once!

;)

For what may be the first time in my life:eek: , I have nothing to add:boohoo: . You have been given complete and sage advice-read up on the A-sail and related searches, and if and when you have some specifics-feel free to hit me (us) up!
As far as sailmakers-if there is a local serive loft representing one of the majors, start there. But also talk to any of the small local guys (but not the guys who specialize in windsurfer sails (and I know there are some up around there). If you don't get a good vibe from any of them, go to Seattle or San Francisco and talk to the guys there-they will know enough about the boat to get you going-what they don't know can be filled in on this site!

Enjoy!

Seth

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
Loren...I see your know your ^%$# around rigging and
sailboats....It is easier to go slow and get it right the 1st time, ea?

"Do not consume alcohol before doing any of this, but
have a six-pack of microbrew handy for the celebration
later!".....