• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Selling price vs Asked Price

jeff w

Is there a resource that tracks actual selling price of Boats listed? I seem to remember seeing this at a brokers.Obviusly ,this gives you a realistic position from which to make an offer .

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Sold Boats dot com I think. But IIRC you need to either be a broker or susbscribe to a service to see actual selling px's and how long they were on the market. If you have a specific type of boat in mind most brokers will give you the listing, mine did as did one who was showing me a C&C 36+ that I almost bought...:eek:

Ensenada Crab

Member I
Lies, damn lies and statistics. . .

"The average difference between the asking prices and sale prices of the
above Soldboats listings was 76.6%. "

which actually tells you nothing. . . .it's a statistic. and like any average, tells you nothing about any specific sale.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No, it's nothing like that. Private sellers of boats like ours add a little negotiation room over a realistic price garnered from similar listings in their part of the country.

Brokers take at least 10 percent of the sale price, often with a minimum of 3K. The ask is therefore always higher than private.

Junk boats sell to newcomers because nobody else will touch them. Well maintained boats have a pretty obvious value to experienced sailors, who can compute at a glance work needed and work already done.

Yes, a broker can tell you what similar models sold for across the country. It's part of their service to customers. Asking prices are public, selling prices are not, as far as I know.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I asked a local broker. He ran a report for me that showed all the listings for 1980s Ericson 32/34/35 listings in the area over the prior 5 years, how long they were on the market, and what they sold for.