Selling price vs Asked Price

jeff w

Is there a resource that tracks actual selling price of Boats listed? I seem to remember seeing this at a brokers.Obviusly ,this gives you a realistic position from which to make an offer .

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Sold Boats dot com I think. But IIRC you need to either be a broker or susbscribe to a service to see actual selling px's and how long they were on the market. If you have a specific type of boat in mind most brokers will give you the listing, mine did as did one who was showing me a C&C 36+ that I almost bought...:eek:

Ensenada Crab

Member I
Lies, damn lies and statistics. . .

"The average difference between the asking prices and sale prices of the
above Soldboats listings was 76.6%. "

which actually tells you nothing. . . .it's a statistic. and like any average, tells you nothing about any specific sale.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No, it's nothing like that. Private sellers of boats like ours add a little negotiation room over a realistic price garnered from similar listings in their part of the country.

Brokers take at least 10 percent of the sale price, often with a minimum of 3K. The ask is therefore always higher than private.

Junk boats sell to newcomers because nobody else will touch them. Well maintained boats have a pretty obvious value to experienced sailors, who can compute at a glance work needed and work already done.

Yes, a broker can tell you what similar models sold for across the country. It's part of their service to customers. Asking prices are public, selling prices are not, as far as I know.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I asked a local broker. He ran a report for me that showed all the listings for 1980s Ericson 32/34/35 listings in the area over the prior 5 years, how long they were on the market, and what they sold for.