• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Flexable Shaft Couplings / Engine mounts

oceandreams89

Member II
Hi,

I'm thinking about installing a flexable shaft coupling into the driveline of my 5432 Universal with a Hurth transmission. Boat is a '89 38-200. Has anyone installed this type of system and if so, what product did you use, and how does it work? Our driveline is pretty smooth as it is, and I'm not sure if there is any difference to be noticed.

I'm also thinking about replacing the motor mounts. One is starting to look a little saggy and I know there are better products out there now than what was installed. Has anyone done this job themselves, and what is entailed?

Thanks for the input.

Todd

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"What he said!"

(...lurking and hoping for responses to this thread.)

We have about 1900 hours on our '88 Universal M25XP, and are wondering if some new "hi tech" mounts will reduce those darned diesel vibes........

Loren in Portland, OR

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thought about this too but dont know if there is enough room on the 89' 38. I replaced my stuffing box, cutlass bearing, shaft and prop last season and there was not a lot of room to work with in there. I dont know what the requirements are but you will want to take some measurements between your shaft log and tranny coupling to see what exactly you can get in there. Please keep us posted on what you find bc I have thought of going this route myself down the road,

stbdtack

Member III
coupling/engine mounts

I just replaced the mounts on my 5432. I wanted to try to find softer, more sophisticated mounts but all the engineered ones were too tall and had different hole patterns. The space is pretty limited on the sides of the engine and I wasnt sure I could drill new holes without moving the engine. I opted for the originals which are relatively cheap.
I had to remove the the motor brackets as the stud nuts were rusted in place. Sawzall with a metal cutting blade made quick work of removing the mounts from the brackets. A $12, 2 ton bottle jack fits under the bellhousing bolt castings perfectly and made lifting the motor simple. I just did them one at a time. Then realigned the motor.

Like Ted said, on my 38 there isnt much room for a coupling. The only experience I have had is on a friends boat. He had one of the orange/red polymer couplings and twice had the attachment bolt inserts pull out while in reverse. I'm sure there must be durable ones available though.
I have always found that a properly aligned coupling, straight shaft, and a good/balanced prop will get you a smooth running set-up.:)

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
We had a drive-saver (orange plastic donut) and I wouldn't call it a flexible shaft coupling, as the engine still needs to be aligned to the shaft flange. We never had any problems with ours, but once one of our skippers backed over a dockline attached to a stern cleat (at high revs), and damn near pulled the prop shaft out the back of the boat. The drivesaver was distorted but held. I wonder if the transmission or drive flange/shaft flange would have been damaged without the drivesaver installed. We replaced the drivesaver, and had no other damage.