• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35' and prop performance

jkm

Member III
I'm tied of lousy reverse performance with my stock prop. Going to haul her soon and want something that'll work. Still have my Atomic 4 which I love.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This is a regular hot topic around this site. You might want to do a "Search" (note the clickable word above and to the right of center) and use words in your search like: feathering prop. Many others have experiences and real-world narratives posted.
There is a higher cost up front, admittedly, but we have had a feathering prop since about '95 and really like it. The usuals: lots of back up power, less prop walk, more speed under sail.

Best,
Loren

jkm

Member III
Loren

Do you have a manufacturer on the feathering prop? Is it two or three blade?

It's really a sobering experience going in reverse with the stock prop!

John

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I used a Max-Prop two-blade for a number of years. That thing was amazing. Really spoils your expectations for what a prop should do in reverse. Never gave us any trouble with minimal maintenance.

Nate

stbdtack

Member III
prop

I have a Gori 3 blade folding. It has great backing performance and I dont give up any efficiency in forward from flat blades. You can talk to Steve at AB Marine in RI, he's a great guy and really helpful. Not sure if they have a size for the A 4.

Attachments

• gori prop.jpg
    gori prop.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 158

Cory B

Sustaining Member
A4 Prop

JKM,
If you have a direct-drive A4 your choices are limited. Most of the props listed above just plain wouldn't work (they don't make them for small enough shafts, or small enough diameter, or you can't dial the pitch down small enough) for us. For our '75 E32 with a dd A4, we put a 12" two-blade feathering maxprop on last spring and have liked it. A cheaper option is the 3-blade fixed prop offered by Indigo (www.atomic4.com), which I've heard good things about, but we wanted something with less drag.
- Cory Bolton

jkm

Member III
CoryBolton said:
JKM,
If you have a direct-drive A4 your choices are limited. Most of the props listed above just plain wouldn't work (they don't make them for small enough shafts, or small enough diameter, or you can't dial the pitch down small enough) for us. For our '75 E32 with a dd A4, we put a 12" two-blade feathering maxprop on last spring and have liked it. A cheaper option is the 3-blade fixed prop offered by Indigo (www.atomic4.com), which I've heard good things about, but we wanted something with less drag.
- Cory Bolton
Very informative

I didn't consider the DD issue, but it will certainly define my decisions

Thanks

Kim Schoedel

Member III
I am amazed with the Max two blade on our recently purchased 35-3. When you want to stop you better hold on to something. It does walk to Port in reverse more than I would like when you first engage until you pick up some decent boat speed. But it has lots of power.