• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Air Conditioning on a 35-3

joerun26

Member II
I have a 1987 35-3 with a 16K BTU Air Conditioner by Marine Air. The PO had 2 discharge air ducts - 1 in the V Berth Area, and 1 in the aft cabin near the sink. The one in the cabin aft is not effective in cooling the cabin interior (long hose run & small duct). I'd like to add a primary 5 or 6 " duct in the main cabin, but am struggling where to add it. The most logical place seems to be in the forward cabin bulkhead - starboard side -where it can share a feed to the V-berth area (in the V berth locker), but I can't bring myself to cut a hole in the bulkhead (recently refinished the interior wood). Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of where to add a main cabin air duct. I've tried to view interior pics of similar models for sale, but haven't seen anything I like yet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and interior pics.

Joe
"Tenacious"
1987 35-3 # 262

Ray Rhode

Member III
Joe,

Here a couple of shots of my installation on Journey. The unit is locatedin the hanging locker and has a "t" on top with outlets forward and aft. Not sure of your configuration but one shot shows the main cabin outlet. I do not recall the grill dimensions, but I can measure tomorrow when I am finishing the water heater relacement.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

Attachments

• Unit with ducting installed.jpg
    Unit with ducting installed.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Main cabin outlet.jpg
    Main cabin outlet.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 127

Ernest

Member II
Air conditioning in E35-3

We have the same installation as Ray. Our's is a 12,000 BTU Mermaid unit, reverse cycle for heating and cooling. We also used the starboard hanging closet for the unit with a 4" square (16 square inches) vent going to the V berth area and a 6" square vent (36 square inches) facing aft through the bulkhead in almost exactly the same place as Ray put his. If I had to do it over, I might put only a 3" vent in the V berth. Otherwise works just fine. Unless the temperature is over 90 something, we don't even bother to put the hatchboards in. We do however slide the main hatch closed.

Ernest

Member II
Air conditioning in E35-3

I forgot to add that we moved the thermostat over to near the stove area in the galley. It gives a better average reading (we thought ):)