• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35 as liveaboard

Charlie Miller

We're not Ericson owners.....yet. Seriously considering a '72 35 for full live aboard. Questions:

1. Is any one living on a 35? If so what modifications/additions have you found most desireable.

2. I can't seem to find any specs other than the basics. How about rig measurements? Tankage size and location? Overhead clearance? (we're planning on trucking from Erie to Pittsburgh, go down the Ohio, through Kentucky Lake and out the Tenn-Tom. Clearance is 52' @ normal flood pool)

3. Mate doesn't care to sail on her ear. How stiff is the 35?

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I have been living on my E35 1972 for nearly three years.
Liveaboard:
Comfortable for me, might be tough for two as storage space is very limited. I pulled out the non-functioning alcohol stove and put a small 110V fridge in its place, which I need to tie down to go sailing. I use a hot plate for cooking. Someday I may put in a gas stove and underway refridgeration but not while I work full time.
I have no water on board, as the hosing to the tank is 29 years old and inaccesible under the forward berth. One of my near future projects is to install a mains pressure system for when tied to the dock. I intend to keep it separate from the tank system which will take some carpentry to get to function.
I find the cushions which I believe to be original quite comfortable to sleep on.
The original holding tank is 9 gallons, needs to be emptied about once a week. Original toilet, Raritan PHII, still works, parts are still available. Had to replace all hosing.

Sailing:
There are very few boats on San Diego Bay of less than 40' which outpace me, even with the original sails. Read the page on reefing for plenty of opinions on stability - I have not found it a problem. I had a new sail made a few months ago, so if you need specific rig dimensions they are probably on the paperwork with it (the sailmaker measured the boat). Height of mast is 40' above the deck, less than 50' above waterline. Helm is very nicely balanced.
Fuel capacity 20 G under the cockpit. Engine Atomic 4 original.

Any more questions, I will do my best to answer.
Gareth
Freyja
E35 1972