Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hull ID location on boat

Contributing Member I

Question Hull ID location on boat

On my Ericson 32 I have looked high, I have looked low but I cannot find the ID Plate or engraving or stamp anywhere on the boat indicating the hull number. Please advise.
    Jim Carlisle
    Jim C.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Unless your boat was built before the HIN was required, it should be on the outside of the transom, near the top. It was molded into the gelcoat when the hull was laid up. What year is your boat, according to the title?
    Loren

Lightbulb HIN

The HIN should be located on the upper starboard side of the transome. Usually the last two didgits are the year in which it was manufactured. The Federal requirement now says that the HIN must be 17 digits long. I forget when this chabged, but it was in the early 80's. I would suggest that if your boat is made earlier than 1984, than the HIN will probably be 12 digits and who knows where they might have stamped it. Good Luck!!

Contributing Member I

Hull ID number

On my 71 e-27, which was made before hull numbers were required the hull number is stamped on the rudder post socket in the cockpit under where the tiller mounts. It is just the hull number, not an ID number. In my case it is just 33.
    Bill Kramer
    "Sea Spray"
    PDX

Contributing Member I

Hull Number

I have a 1970 35 MK II. The number I have found is 35 128 and was finally located at the base of the tiller knuckle mount in the cockpit. It may take a little elbow grease and never dul or similar metal polisher to reveal the numbers if your vessel is pre hull ID 14 digit stamping.

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carlisle View Post
    On my Ericson 32 I have looked high, I have looked low but I cannot find the ID Plate or engraving or stamp anywhere on the boat indicating the hull number. Please advise.
    Jim Carlisle
    On our '73 E32-2 it was located on the transom.

Our boat developed large blisters in the transom gel coat so they were somewhat obscured when the yard I bought the boat from repaired the blisters under warranty. Perhaps your transom suffered a similar fate???

Sustaining Partner
    Blog Entries

My Hull Number

I had to rely on the Hull Numbered listed on the historic Registration...
    The former owner has a small racing accident which took out the transom numbers.
    1971 E29.

Rick+
    Pax et Bene
    Rick e29

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by frick View Post
    I had to rely on the Hull Numbered listed on the historic Registration...
    The former owner has a small racing accident which took out the transom numbers.
    1971 E29.

Rick+
    I know a guy that does major (and rather high end) repairs to boats.
    Point is that like major yards and boat builders, he has a reverse-lettering Dymo labeler. This is for restoring the correct original HIN back on the transom after all repairs and is done whether the final finish is gel coat or LPU.

When he is done it looks just "like factory new".

OTOH, less chance that us amateurs would bother with that detail.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Old threads never die

Interesting to see this thread as I was waxing this hull just last evening. The HIN is located on the transom, upper starboard, and also on the port side engine stringer. Possibly other places I have not found yet! As an aside, Jim passed in 2015 and I bought Valkyrie from his estate in 2016. We never met, but thanks to archived posts I am able to see some of the issues he worked on over the years. Another valuable part of the Ericson community!
    Phil Nelson
    1985 E32-3, M-25
    Valkyrie

Contributing Member III Tomwine's Avatar

HIN Numbers

I have a 1974 35 Mk 2 I looked high and low for my numbers without finding anything. One day I was washing the boat and low and behold there were the numbers at the bottom of the transom right in the center. I was very happy to find them because after purchasing the boat there were some conflicts with the hull numbers on the old paperwork. I was told the boat was a 76 but after finding the numbers it was a 74. I didn't care much about the 2 years difference but boy was I happy when I found the numbers. I had the transom painted and forgot to tell the painter to watch for the numbers so guess what? Now no more more numbers. LOL
    I ordered stainless plates with the HIN stamped on them and attached them to two places on the boat.
    Last edited by Tomwine; 04-08-2018 at 05:40 AM.
    Eriscon 35 mk II
    Hull 317
    Hot Tamale
    Wilmington Ca

"Jim passed in 2015 and I bought Valkyrie from his estate in 2016. We never met, but thanks to archived posts I am able to see some of the issues he worked on over the years. Another valuable part of the Ericson community!"

Phil, finding some of the things the PO worked on is invaluable. I too, bought a boat in an estate sale. I never got any records of logs or maintenance work- anything, and no one to ask. I wish the guy used this forum like your PO did.

Because there are no records, I go on the assumption that everything is suspect and needs work or replacement. Now that I think of it, maybe that's not a bad starting point after all.
    Bill McLean,
    '76 E27 #879, Atomic 4
    Norfolk, VA

We live in Gilbert Arizona. Boat is in Puerto Penasco, Mexico

Hull ID on E35 Mark I?

I read the posts about locating the Hull ID. I was hoping someone could post a picture of exactly where they found it their on their E35 in the 1969 to 1972 age range. I have just purchased a 1972 Ericson 35. But I am skeptical of the year because the transom does not have a Hull ID (could have been gel-coated over) and the keel is a full keel like the Mark 1. But the Mark 1's stopped getting made in 1969. The documentation says I have hull #46, but that doesn't seem to exist at least as far as Wikipedia is involved. Is there a registry somewhere? I have looked around the cockpit wheel mount and have not seen any numbers, but I will look harder. If anyone has pictures of where their hull ID is located in the cockpit could they share?

I'd appreciate any help on this
    David

As mentioned above, the port side engine stringer could be a possible location. I discovered mine there while removing the old engine mounts. The forward mount covered almost all of it.
    Al Frakes
    1987 E-28 Reba Gee
    Hull #663
    Port Kent, NY

Sustaining Partner
    Blog Entries

Glenned internet HIN number patters

Quote Originally Posted by dvwilkie View Post
    I read the posts about locating the Hull ID. I was hoping someone could post a picture of exactly where they found it their on their E35 in the 1969 to 1972 age range. I have just purchased a 1972 Ericson 35. But I am skeptical of the year because the transom does not have a Hull ID (could have been gel-coated over) and the keel is a full keel like the Mark 1. But the Mark 1's stopped getting made in 1969. The documentation says I have hull #46, but that doesn't seem to exist at least as far as Wikipedia is involved. Is there a registry somewhere? I have looked around the cockpit wheel mount and have not seen any numbers, but I will look harder. If anyone has pictures of where their hull ID is located in the cockpit could they share?

David

Manufacturers of recreational boats have been required to assign a unique, 12 letter/number combination HIN since November 1972. The standard formats used since 1972 are shown in the chart on page 3. The first 3 letters of the HIN designate the Manufacturers ID Code (MIC) assigned by the Coast Guard. This may be used as an aid to determining the manufacturer of the boat if it is not known. Boats manufactured prior to 1972, homemade boats, and boats built specifically for commercial fishing may not have a HIN. Boats without a HIN will have a HIN assigned by DMV when they are initially registered. HULL IDENTIFICATION FORMATS The NEW FORMAT replaced the STRAIGHT YEAR and MODEL YEAR formats. Although optional as of January 1, 1984, both the NEW FORMAT and the confidential HIN’s were required as of August 1, 1984. NEW FORMAT (August 1, 1994) BMA 45678 H4 85 Manufactures ID Code (MIC) Production or Serial Number *Month & Year of Production Model Year *Key to month of production for New Format. In the example above, H4 would be August 1984. A - January D - April G - July J - October B - February E - May H - August K - November C - March F - June I - September L - December STRAIGHT YEAR (November 1, 1972) ABC 12345 08 83 Manufactures ID Code (MIC) Production or Serial Number Month of Production Model Year MODEL YEAR (November 1, 1972) XYZ 45678 M 84 A M Designates Model Year Format Model Year *Month of Production *Key to month of production for Model Year Format. In the example, month is August. A - August D - November G - February J - May B - September E - December H - March K - June C - October F - January I - April L - July
    Pax et Bene
    Rick e29

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvwilkie View Post

David
    Hi David,

Ours is a '73 but am reasonably sure the ID was in the same general area as was yours. It was located at the very upper left side corner of the transom.

Regrettably our transom developed gel coat blisters early on and was repaired under warranty without regard - thus wiping out the hull ID information. The only other "ID" info we have now is on our original '73 bill of sale and registration documentation issued by the state (FL) at the time. (Gel coat blisters and other issues/problems were common back then, so there's a good chance your boat may have been also repaired at some point and time.)

...Keep in mind, fiberglass boats of a larger size replacing wood (such as ours) were relatively new in the market place in the late 60's and early 70's. Our hulls are actually thicker than most of the newer ones as they didn't know for absolute certainty back then how strong the glass actually had to be - not to mention - we were before gas prices totally skyrocketed in the mid 70's and resins were cheap. This forced forced engineering advances in techniques, processes and materials such as Polyester VS Epoxy plus Ericson's "Tri-Axle" grid that also reduced building costs but improved hull design.
    Last edited by kapnkd; 05-15-2018 at 02:44 PM.