• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hull ID location on boat

Glyn Judson

Possible hull number location.

Hi David,

Ours is a '73 but am reasonably sure the ID was in the same general area as was yours. It was located at the very upper left side corner of the transom.

Regrettably our transom developed gel coat blisters early on and was repaired under warranty without regard - thus wiping out the hull ID information. The only other "ID" info we have now is on our original '73 bill of sale and registration documentation issued by the state (FL) at the time. (Gel coat blisters and other issues/problems were common back then, so there's a good chance your boat may have been also repaired at some point and time.)

...Keep in mind, fiberglass boats of a larger size replacing wood (such as ours) were relatively new in the market place in the late 60's and early 70's. Our hulls are actually thicker than most of the newer ones as they didn't know for absolute certainty back then how strong the glass actually had to be - not to mention - we were before gas prices totally skyrocketed in the mid 70's and resins were cheap. This forced forced engineering advances in techniques, processes and materials such as Polyester VS Epoxy plus Ericson's "Tri-Axle" grid that also reduced building costs but improved hull design.

Jon, I scanned the responses you got and don't think I'm repeating myself here when I suggest that you take a look at the underside of several drawers in the boat. For that matter, other bits of interior cabinetry might hold the secret. It was a common shop practice at Ericson to sometimes mark the hull number with a Sharpie on the drawer they were working on. I know as late as 1979 our E25+ had a drawer or two so marked. Slightly off topic, the original holding tank in our E31 had the same tank as the E25+ and was marked as such on top with felt marker. Ronco Plastics made the original tanks and still do for that matter. Let the search begin, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

dvwilkie

Hull ID on E35 Mark I?

The Mk 1 was a pretty hull and completely different in appearance from the Bruce King design later.
Have you some pictures to attach?
Thanks.
Loren

I'll get some photos in a few days and post them. I agree it's a pretty hull.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I now know what a "stringer" is! I do have access to the stringers both from the port side cockpit lazarettes and from inside the engine compartment. Any advice on a particular part of the stringer I should look? I will also look at the cabinets and drawers, I believe that these are original. Our boat has the aft berth on the starboard side and the galley (fridge and stove which are not original) on the port side. Somewhat awkwardly the steps from the cabin into the cockpit take you right over the sink. I don't have pictures but I'll post them with the exterior photos.

I will triple check for a hull ID on the transom.

Thanks again everyone,
David

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
As mentioned elsewhere, the only place that the hull number appears on many 70-71 boats is a hand stamp on the tiller deck plate.
(Mine also had the number sewn onto the mainsail, which was so old that it might even have been original.)

dvwilkie

Hull ID on E35 Mark I?

OK, after an extensive check of the boat, I found:
Transom Hull ID (same AZZ manufacturer code showing 1972 date, which doesn't make sense for the boat)
Nothing on any cabinetry
Tiller (wheel) base plate has been painted over, I saw no evidence of any writing or marking anywhere on the wheel housing. I haven't looked under the cockpit yet.
The engine compartment has a lot of stuff in it, so the stringers are hard to find. The original rear engine mounts are pretty rusty. There is another engine mount that is being used to support the current electric motor. I have found no evidence of a hull ID anywhere.

I have attached pictures of the boat so you can see the hull.

David

As mentioned elsewhere, the only place that the hull number appears on many 70-71 boats is a hand stamp on the tiller deck plate.
(Mine also had the number sewn onto the mainsail, which was so old that it might even have been original.)

Attachments

• Port side bottom paint.jpg
    Port side bottom paint.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Starboard side bottom paint.jpg
    Starboard side bottom paint.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 31

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As an aside...

Here is sailboatdata.com on the 35-1. They also have a very nice photo. ( http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1519 )

The site is responsive to corrections of the information, if anyone takes issue.

There are a number of stories about the origins of the ERICSON 35-1. One has it that the molds for this, the first of all the Ericsons, were purchased from Pearson Yachts.
Another version is quoted below:
"Pearson Yachts decided to discontinue the manufacture of ALBERG 35's at its Sausalito, CA plant. They sent the molds to the San Francisco dump where they weren't broken up, supposedly because the crew stopped to eat lunch. Someone saw them, claimed them, and trucked them down to Orange where they set up a manufacturing facility. Bruce King redesigned the keel, taking out 500 pounds of ballast. He also redesigned the cabin trunk with windows with a shape similar to that of the Columbia's of the period.
Pearson sued Ericson over the hull. They lost. Columbia sued Ericson over the window shape. They won. As a result, later windows had the same general shape but were split in two."
The only thing that can be said for certain is that lines of the ERICSON 35-1 do appear similar to those of the ALBERG 35.
Another, completely different ERICSON 35 was introduced in 1969, designed by King. (Here referred to as the ERICSON 35-2).

fool

Member III
Here is sailboatdata.com on the 35-1. They also have a very nice photo. ( http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1519 )

"Pearson Yachts decided to discontinue the manufacture of ALBERG 35's at its Sausalito, CA plant. They sent the molds to the San Francisco dump where they weren't broken up, supposedly because the crew stopped to eat lunch. Someone saw them, claimed them, and trucked them down to Orange where they set up a manufacturing facility. Bruce King redesigned the keel, taking out 500 pounds of ballast. He also redesigned the cabin trunk with windows with a shape similar to that of the Columbia's of the period.
Pearson sued Ericson over the hull. They lost. Columbia sued Ericson over the window shape. They won. As a result, later windows had the same general shape but were split in two."
The only thing that can be said for certain is that lines of the ERICSON 35-1 do appear similar to those of the ALBERG 35.
Another, completely different ERICSON 35 was introduced in 1969, designed by King. (Here referred to as the ERICSON 35-2).

Just happened to stumble across this: https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/d/35-pearson-alberg-35/6591638643.html

Interesting...

dvwilkie

Hull ID on E35 Mark I?

So I was able to get copies of two previous surveys on Déjàlà.

The survey from 2007 references "Hull number 46" but does not say how the surveyor found that information.
The survey from 1991 references "Hull number 42 (reported)" but doesn't give any more information. In an earlier email on of you referenced the registry. Is that posted? I'd like to see any information that's available on hull number 42 in case that's the real number.

Thanks!
David

The site is responsive to corrections of the information, if anyone takes issue.

There are a number of stories about the origins of the ERICSON 35-1. One has it that the molds for this, the first of all the Ericsons, were purchased from Pearson Yachts.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Apropos of whatever, life for surveyors, owners, and lenders got a LOT easier after implementation of the HIN regulations in 1972.
Every surveyor that I know does a 'rubbing' of the embossed HIN on a transom just for the record. And if needed, a rubbing of the second embossed one on the inside of the boat.

More photos and paperwork are required for a pre-HIN vessel to identify it positively... or to show a best effort.

Ensenada Crab

Member I
your 32-2 hull number for all to see. . .

On my Ericson 32 I have looked high, I have looked low but I cannot find the ID Plate or engraving or stamp anywhere on the boat indicating the hull number. Please advise.
Jim Carlisle

also having no idea where to look for a hull number on my 32-2 i (literally) ran across it stamped into the tiller mount. . .capture-20181122-172619.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yep, as per post #23. And one more place that I recently discovered (there are so many of these threads!) written inside the mast extrusion at the base, with magic marker. Just pop that sucker off for a look-see!