• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Head Plumbing Project E 38

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I removed the holding tank and cleaned with bleach. I Eliminated the vented loop, Y valve direct discharge route all together. The head now runs direct to the tank and can be either pumped out through the deck fitting or through the manual whale pump. I replaced all of the hoses with sealand odorsafe hose. I rebuilt the manual pump replacing all of the seals and sandblasting the metal housing and priming with zinc chromate primer then painting. I eliminated the exiting water tank vent into the sink and installed a small vent in the shower. I filled the old holes with epoxy. I had to weld new studs on the bottom of the sink to reinstall as the old ones were rusted off. I repainted under the sink. I capped the old t-hull for direct discharge and plan on using it for a keel cooler when my aircooled refridge craps out. I wanted to be able to flush the head at the end of the day with fresh water but I did not want to have to put a plug in the sink drain or listen to air sucking from using the sink drain as an intake so I put in a t fitting with a valve similar the setup for the icebox pump that also can supply salt water to the galley sink. When you want fresh water you close the sink drain t-hull and head intake and open the valve on the t. Then run fresh water down the sink and pump the head. When done close the t valve. This way I leave the boat with all the t-hulls for the head area closed. Then open them when I return. Project is not 100% done as I am waiting on a piece of 3/4 " hose for the intake and need to put the head back. I also replaced the vent line and added a holding tank vent filter from sealand.

Attachments

• head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 185
  • head2.jpg
    head2.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 171
  • head3.jpg
    head3.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 178
  • head4.jpg
    head4.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 167

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Sounds like a thorough and well thought-out project Ted!

My only concern is that I think I see a Sch 40 and a Sch 80 PVC elbow on two seacocks. Is that right? I'd replace them with Marelon to perfect the installation.

Nate

Last edited:

joerun26

Member II
Head Plumbing Project

Nice work Ted. I also eliminated the "Y" valves on my 35-3 when I replaced the holding tank and plumbing lines last weekend. I just have to install the "T" s and valve to tie the sink drain and the head water inlet line together to allow for a fresh water flush (although I don't know its as critical since I eliminated the "Y" valves and bunch of standing plumbing). Like yours - my head now discharges directly to the holding tank via a very short line and tank dischage will be via the deck pump out or manual whale pump overboard.

Joe
"Tenacious"
1987 35-3 # 262

vbenn

Member III
Get this - -
Found out this week that previous owner replaced head hoses with black exhaust hose. No wonder I couldn't get rid of the smell. Replacing all with SeaLand OdorSafe white hose.

Vince
'Wild Blue"
1997 E-380 #22