• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

CNG Hose Connections

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I will post some picutes later but I have questions about the type of hose connections that should be used on the CNG lines. I have torn apart my cocpit locker and am rerouting all of the wiring and hoses to neaten things up. The funny thing is the hose connections look like they are just barb fittings with no hose clamps. I know I know pictures pictures. I will post tonight. I am reasonably sure this is the oem setup and does not leak but the connections look odd. I was a little suprized at the way the other hoses and wiring was routed from the engine and cabin into and through this locker. It all looks like oem work but was not very well thought out. Perhaps it was redone... I will post all of my photos from my head replumbing job and this project.

Another thing that I found thats funny is the vent fittings that are mounted in the transom. When I went to replace them I found ones in all the marine stores with barb fittings to accept 9/16" hose. No one sells 9/16 hose however. I could not find it in fuel, water, or sanitation hose... I used ones with 3/8 pipethread and the appropriate adapters but i found this funny. Guess I have had my head in that cockpit locker too long. :p

stbdtack

Member III
gas fittings

My CNG fittings were like that as well. Its a common type of barb that doesnt need a hose clamp. They use special hose and have a rating of about 350psi. The gas pressure is pretty low after it leaves the regulators so its not a worry. The fittings have sharp ridges so dont put on a hose clamp or you may cut the hose.
I replaced them all with regular barb fittings and clamps when I went to propane.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Ben. Glad to know these are normal. You converted to propane? Did you buy a new stove or convert your existing one? My understanding about pressure after the regulator was somewhere near 60psi.

stbdtack

Member III
propane...

I replaced the stove, but I considered converting it. Mine was an old brown enamel one and was rusted enough that i didnt want to put money into fixing it.

If your stove is in good shape the conversion is easy and the 38 has the 10lb propane lockers built in.

I think the pressure after the final regulator is only around 1/2 to 1 pound of pressure.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Heres the regulator and the connections I was talking about. Other pix show the messed up hose and electrical routing. Note shelf in the locker is out. It was not quite this messy till I took out all the happy time wire ties that were holding the mess together. I plan to reroute and use proper cable and hose supports.

Attachments

• CNG fitting.jpg
    CNG fitting.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 214
  • hoses1.jpg
    hoses1.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 239
  • hoses2.jpg
    hoses2.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

chaco

Member III
Gas Fitttings

Ted...

Low Pressure Gas appliances are designed to fire at 7-14" Water Column
(28" WC = 1.0 PSIG) or .25 to .50 PSIG.
Check out andersonfittings.com for great information.
Barbs with Flare fittings are industry standard for Low Pressure Hose Fittings
I put SS hose clamps for safety on gas and diesel fuel.

good luck :egrin: :egrin:

Jayster

More CNG Connections

Hello, I recently purchased a 1977 E-32. I am converting the alcohol stove to a s/s Gas Systems of California stove. I believe I have all of the major components including the stove, regulator, and tank. Since everything was purchased seperately I would like to make sure I hook it up correctly.

Can anyone either put together a schematic or forward a copy of the install/owner's manual for the Gas Systems stove?

Many Thanks.

Jayster
E-32 Carpe Diem

u079721

Contributing Partner
Holding tank

Chris Miller said:
Which tank (the dark grey one) is that on your boat in the lazerette?
Chris

That black tank looks exactly like the set up on my 1989, which was the holding tank. On one hand it's nice to not see the poo, but on the other you have no idea just by looking how full it is.

Shadowfax

Member III
FWIW

There are a couple of tank monitors on the market and I'm told a simple stud finder available at [shutter the thought] Home Depot will do the job

Jayster

Hey Ted,
I have the same CNG regulator. I was wondering where the two hoses go? One must go to the stove, but does it go through a solinoid? Does the second smaller hose go to a deck vent?
Thanks,

Jayster
E-32 Carpe Diem

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Black tank is a holding tank. I was thinking of a monitor. Saw ones for as cheap as $50, but I like the stud finder trick I need to try that. One the CNG regulator. There is no electric solenoid that I am aware of There is a switch for one on my panel but it is for a propane set up I think. The other hose is a vent to the transom.

chaco

Member III
The E35II has a CNG vent solenoid under the Galley Sink with a pull switch
on the cabinet front. Not familiar with the operating design.
Will remove all the CNG System (don't trust 30 year old hoses in bilge) and
replace with new LPG System and solenoid supply valve on tank.