• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Choosing an Ericson 38?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Heres the rest. They are all from the brokers site. Can't take any shots of my own as she is still covered up.... Enjoy, I do! :egrin: RT

Attachments

• eric6.jpg
    eric6.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 231
  • eric7.jpg
    eric7.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 326
  • eric8.jpg
    eric8.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 277
  • eric9.jpg
    eric9.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 279
  • eric10.jpg
    eric10.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 259

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
congrats...RT .... nice "get".. the 38's are solid and
quick...i am sure you will enjoy...why don't you post some
pics later, when you get a chanse....

Allen

Ericson 38

I'm in the process of buying a boat and really have settled on a 1983 E38
was wondering how you feel about your boat after a few years.
What should I look for in buying, type of keel etc
Were the keel constructions all molded wiohcast lead?
Thanks.
Allen

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm in the process of buying a boat and really have settled on a 1983 E38
was wondering how you feel about your boat after a few years.
What should I look for in buying, type of keel etc
Were the keel constructions all molded wiohcast lead?
Thanks.
Allen

The keels are external lead castings on that model, AFAIK.

Most of the ones we found while shopping seemed to be the deeper "competition" keel and draw 6.5 feet. I know that there was a wing keel option at some point later and also a shorter shoal draft fin that draws about 5 feet or so.

LB

Allen

Ericson 38

Thank you for the info. there is so much information it gets overwhelming when trying to purchase. will be doing coastal cruising and wanted a good solid & safe boat with some performance. I have crewed quite a bit in San Francisco and can single hand pretty well. Looking to head down South in a couple of years with my wife after doing a lot of sailing and upgrading as needed
Allen

erobitaille

Member II
Good Solid Boat

Allen,

We have had our 1982 E-38 for 5 years now great crusing boat. She spent a few year in Baja as a cruser (PO) In SF bay and Ca coast now in Annapolis turns heads where every she goes. Go with the deep keel she will point a little higher.

Allen

38 ericson

Thanks for the info, I greatly appreciate it.
The boat I'm lookng at is a 1983 and does need some work, but mostly all things I can do, being pretty handy.
A bit of Interior refurbishing & some updates, but the servey (3 yrs old) says it is in good condition
All comments are greatly appreciated
Allen

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Another thread back from the dead!

Well, here I am, almost 4 years into owning "Ruby" my E38. I am still quite happy with her although she can be a demanding mistress when it comes to time and funds.

Would I do it again? Probably, I'm a glutton for punishment! There have been many excellent times had on her as well as some screaming disappointments and lots more work than expected. I have raced her and she did reasonably well but after two seasons I am finding racing wears the boat, it wears the sails. IMHO, an E38 is much more of a cruiser than a racer, at least mine is, and I don't really want to beat the crap out of her just for bragging rights. At this point I would have to spend money and a lot more of it to be competitive. No ROI in that.

Actually to better enjoy my sailboat I'm about to make her a better motorboat. All too often I have found myself against a current, failing wind, setting sun, etc. and have had to motor to get where I am going. A two blade fixed prop sucks for this. It also sucks in reverse. The cockpit is very comfortable under sail, with a bit of heel. Under power and dead level, not so much. Crappy forward visibility in all seating positions, the dodger glass is getting tired and the dodger itself needs to be about two inches taller. My skin cannot take the full intensity of the sun anymore, I need a bimini, especially when motoring in dead, stale air at 2pm in August. So here is the list for winter work:

1. New 3 blade feathering Variprofile prop, better under power AND sail
2. PSS shaft seal
3. Bimini
4. Rework dodger a bit taller and do a solid hardtop for it.
5. Remove pushpit and have aft rail seats added ala Catalina
7. Upgrade engine room sound insulation.
8. New main salon hatch.
9, Spartite!

I may also tackle replacing the headliner. I cannot stand not being able to access the deck hardware backing plates or chase the leak I currently have.

So there you go! If this all makes the boat more enjoyable when sailing is not great, like it was most of this season, money well spent.
RT

Allen

E83

Thanks Rob for the info,
I appreciate the thoughts behind the upgrades like the 3 bkade prop, as I read many upgrades to boats, but not really knowing the benifits from the improvements.
Allen

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Rob,
The leak you have is probably the Dorades on the cabin top.
I was leaking there and after reglassing and re-epoxing the two rain separators inside the box I have had no issues and now have a dry interior. I fixed them last winter. I also drilled more drain holes on the side of the box.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dorades and Staples now moved...

Good point, Ted.
I know that sometimes these threads just sort of "evolve" and zero harm is intended. Seems best in this case to re-title it and put the fix it messages into a new thread in the Maint. Forum.
I hope that no one minds.
Best wishes for 2010,
Loren
:nerd:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Loren. You guys do such an awesome job with this site. I only wish this type of service was available for more boats, but given the state of boats sales Escape Plan and I will be around for a while I think!

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
nice work....:egrin:

Well, my wife and I are now the proud owners of a 1983 E38! She was rated "excellent" by the surveyor and easily passed through the approval of the bank and insurance folks. The closing was this past Friday at 2pm. I took the rest of the day off, went to the yard and just stared at/hung out on her. Simply fantastic. I can't wait for spring now! Thanks to all that gave input, it was appreciated. Thanks, RT