• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-29 Running rigging?

Mike Thomas

Member II
Does anyone know of a good resource for finding the stock running rigging dimensions for an E-29?
I could use both diameter and length?

Main Halyard? All rope (not wire)
Jib Halyard?
Main sheet?

Mike T
E-29

Oh Yea
HAPPY NEW YEAR Everybodyl!!

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Mike

The halyards are 3/8 on my E29T. I was going to go to 7/16 but it was more than my boat could handle. It is amazing how much 1/16 of an inch makes on a halyard or sheet.

I am running 80' of sheets on my 150 and that gets me around the back winches and to the stern horns. I cleat off there. The halyards are double the height of the mast and if you want to run them to the cockpit measure the path and add extra and cut to desired length after you feel it out. It is easier to cut a line than splice one. a friend left enough halyard to reach the foresail winches with the main all the way down. you only need winches for the last few feet or maybe the last few inches of lift.

I believe the main sheet is 60' on my boat and it is short do not use that as a measure.

Use this information at your own risk, it is from memory and I have grey hair need I say more.

The rope man at the flea market in Collinsville AL is a great place, it is short pieces if yacht line from the mills that make it. Might not be worth it for you to travel that far.

rssailor

Running rigging

Mike,
Get a long tape measure and measure your rig height from the base to the top with the tape hoisted on the main halyard. Then hoist the tape on your jib halyard and run it down the forstay all the way to where the jib tack attaches. The first measurement will give you how long the main halyard has to be doubled of course with extra couple feet thrown in. Use the mast height plus the whatever the second dimension was and add five or ten feet and you have how long your jib halyard would be. Now as far as where to buy running rigging, APS or maybe layline would be good places to start as well as West Marine has a really good rig shop on the east coast in Charlotte, NC. Good luck and use the best line you can afford. Ryan

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Ryan is right

The boats were different enough in set up that it would be too risky to make new rigging from old dimensions (were the halyards run aft? Forward?).

You really need to measure what you have and have it duplicated...You can use messenger lines, and remove all the running rigging and give them to a rigger for replacement-you will have to physically measure the standing rigging-in thhe boat with a chair, or when the mast is down next time.

Good luck!

Bill Sanborn

Member III
Consider extra length.

On the halyards, is it long enough to reach a man-overboard in the water, tie a bowline, and still be wrapped around your largest winch? Even after you cut off the chafed areas after a few years of wear? I use 3/8" on my e29.

I use 7/16" extra long jib sheets for lower stretch and in case I have to cross sheet to a different winch. The larger dia. also makes it easier to handle.

Over the years I have been happy with Samson XLS. Good compromise cost vs stretch and fairly easy to splice. Consider buying a full spool and splitting it with another sailor.

Mike Thomas

Member II
Thanks all
I was considering the messenger line option but I wanted to see the way the wind blows with the group. It's refreshing to know that I'm still thinking correctly (sometimes)

Mike T
E-29

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Hey Archie!

Nice head shot! You are doing it the RIGHT way-this is the only logical way to remove your halyards for inspection/replacement, and then re-install them (or the new ones).

Per the other idea, sure: If you think they might be a bit too short, determine how much more you want by tying on some extra line you have so you can be sure you have enough for secondary uses-such as pulling a person back on board; then add that to your overall length.

7/16" is pretty big stuff for a 29, though-the sail won't fly too well in light air with a couple of those hanging off the clew...For sure, ease of grip is a consideration-but go as small as you can while keeping an acceptable diameter for grip-remember that larger stuff move a lot slower through your blocks....

By the way, once you buy some high quality halyards, you might want to use those messenger lines-all or most of the time. Just take the halyards down after you are done sailing-if in salt water, rinse them off then store them down below-good way to protect your investment. They will last a LOT longer. If this is too much work, you can tie the messenger to the shackle end of the halyard and hoist it all the way up..At least this way (provided you have internal halyards), you will get the good stuff out of the sun and elements. When ready to sail again, just pull the "1/2" messenger (and halyard) back down to the deck and off you go.

Sorry if this is a repeat-I know I mentioned this before, but my befuddled brain can't recall whether it was in a private or general message.

Cheers,
S