• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Forward Hatch on E 25+

rssailor

Well so far no luck finding a new forward hatch for moonglow. The old one is shot and the aluminum frame is corroding. Checked with Bomar and Lewmar and neither make a hatch that will fit. Loren suggested a manufacturer, and they do not make one of the right dimensions either. Anyone one else got any sugestions? Seth, who supplied the hatches back in 79? Thanks Ryan Moonglow E 25+ 511

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Please refresh our memories...
What are the "cut out" measurements for this hatch?

Looking forward to 2006,

Loren in PDX

rssailor

Cutout dimesions

Loren,
The inside dimensions are 15.5" square. Looking for a forward hatch something similar to a Lewmar hatch in look. Checked out the above posters web site and it looks like they do not make anything like that. From looking at the plastek site, they make some cool stuff, just not what I am looking for. Thanks Ryan

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup, that IS a tough size to match...

"XR150
I.D: 16" x 16" (40.6 x 40.6 cm)
O.D: 181/2" x 18 1/2" (47 x 47 cm)
Acrylic: 17" x 17" (43.2 x 43.2 cm)
Weight: 11 lbs. (5 kg)"

This model from the http://www.atkinshoyle.com/xr.html
site looks close. If the cutout is only a half inch more, that should be do-able, maybe.
(The folks at PlasTeak do not show in their pictures if they are making a framed hatch. Making a replacement for a plastic panel or acrylic panel hatch is a lot simpler -- just a routed channel for the gasket and no frame. I cannot tell from the site information if that is what they are doing, though. But, if so,they should have plenty of business, what with this style of hatch used on a slew of aging low-end powerboats and sailboats from the 60's and 70's.)
Adding more search information: Vetus now has a model "Genius 4040" that has a cutout of about 14 3/8" square, from what I can read on their web site http://www.vetus.com/frame-cat.htm
In this situation, it is often easier to shrink an opening, since the housetop molding had a raised flange that typically faired into the adjacent nonskid. Well, it was just a thought... and I am reasonably comfortable with light-duty mods like this...

Loren in Portland

Last edited:

rssailor

Forward hatch

Nope making the cutout another half inch all the way around would involve major glass work and be a pain in the but and time consuming. Would prefer a bolt on solution. Ryan

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Hatch

Actually it may have been an Atkins Hoyle-They were definitely one of our suppliers back then. I just can't recall exactly-BUT it would be the same as all 30 and under fwd hatches from 79 models-any other owners able to tell us which hatch you have?

Sorry I can't help more.

Cheers,
s