• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Interior cushion replacement

Gary G

Member II
I have a 1983 E28+ that could use all new cushions in the cabin. I'm not going to tackle this job via Sailrite or other DIY means. I'm located north of Chicago and would like to know if anyone can recommend a professional in the area to make the new cushions for me. Anybody have an idea of what I should expect to pay (ouch!) to have this done? Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!

Gary G
s/v Imi Loa

P

Plasteak

I just wanted to let you know, before your project. Our company recreates a lot of lumber and materials on boats in recycled plastic. We, a lot of times, make the backboards of your cushions, so they never rot or crack. If this sounds like something your interested in, Visit our website or drop me a line. If will save you in the future, I guarantee that. You wouldn't want to go and spend all the money on your refurnishing, and than have to go back and replace your under boards. Check us out!
http://www.plasteak.com
Thanks,
Sarah Gribble
Plasteak
sarah@plasteak.com

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
(How's your sense of humor?) :eek:
Um, Sarah, now try to stay calm. Take a couple of asprin. Count down slowly from 10 to 1. There. Heart rate reduced? I hope so. While a good salesperson always seeks new markets and uses, it is good to consider whether the customer might feel somewhat beleagered by too many suggestions lobbed at them all at once. Please do not take offence, as all solutions really are welcome. :)
Unlike other watercraft, there are no back boards to which cushion backs are stapled on most Ericsons. There are boarding platforms only on a very few of the PSC-built models from the 90's. As to synthetic wood, I have a recent brochure and sample of "Tek Dek" sitting on the kitchen counter, which the Admiral wishes I would file somewhere else... :rolleyes:
I have seen artificial teak and holly sole that is a perfect clone of the real thing, and this was on a 500K boat. Times are a-changin',
and as the guy said to Ben in that movie: "plastics, my boy, plastics!"

I try not to be too proud, since most of my boat is made from... plastics!

Synthetic replacements for wood are edging in to the repair/upgrade orbit slowly, as most owners of middle to high end sailboats (and that be us) want to stay with traditional teak trim solutions. Personally, I would put on SS handrails before changing to synthetic wood, but that's just me.
:rolleyes:
Glad to have you participating, but as a vendor you might consider that too much advice delived in a rush may seem more self serving than helpful.
This is only IMO, and I admit that I probably need my morning coffee!
Best,
Loren in PDX
:egrin:

Last edited: