• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

71 E29 headliner

Art Mullinax

Member III
Need suggestions concerning the headliner in my 71 E29.
I'm looking at several mods to make her more single handed friendly. I'm going to bring the halyards and mainsheet to the cockpit, mount 1 or 2 winches on the cabin top, and install cam locks for these lines. My concern is the headliner. By the time I've mounted winches, turning blocks, cam locks, etc. I will have 25-30 bolt heads or plastic plugs showing. The headliner is molded fiberglass, not vinyl. Is there any way around this or is it just got to be that way?
Thanks,

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Art I am thinking of leading halyards to the cockpit on my 29. My thoughts are.

A deck organizer to the starboard side and slightly aft of the mast, rope clutches straight aft of the organizer and above the compartment that is by the starboard side of the companionway. The organizer would be bolted through the headliner just aft of the bulkhead that is even with the mast. If the organizer were mounted just forward of the mast and at a 45 degree angle the bolts could be in the head rather than the main area ??.

With cockpit winches mounted at the rear positions I feel the angle would allow them to work for the halyards. Thus only the organizer bolts are visible inside and no winches to buy.

With the stump mount mast what method of attaching blocks to turn the halyards are you going to use? I think when my mast is dropped next fall I will install a tabernacle with a base plate that has the perforated edge to allow blocks, vang, and other accessories to be attached there.

Isn't the head on the port side on the 71 if so you could run the port side.
Is your boat tiller or wheel. Your boat doesn't have the split cockpit does it?