• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cost of Awlgrip ?

Sven

Seglare
No, we're not about to have it done to La Petite, she doesn't need it.

I read much of the Awlgrip site I am curious what the typical cost is and what it is based on (LoA, DWL, surface area ... ?).

Can scratches be repainted in or is it an all-or-nothing process ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Mike T

Member I
Sven, Awlgrip is pretty much an all or nothing deal. You would have a very hard time repairing scatches, as an Awlgrip repair can not be "blended" into the original paint. In our area (the midwest) the going rate for a person skilled in painting Awlgrip ranges from $65-75 per hour. The total cost would depend on how much "prep" work is required before the actual spraying can be done.
Spraying Awlgrip is very different than spraying Automotive type paints.

Michael

Asgard
1978 Ericson 30-2 #3
Sheboygan WI.

vbenn

Member III
I'm having my E-380 awlgripped in March. Currently, the blue gelcoat is faded and probably too porous to hold a shine. Last May, I lightly compounded, polished and waxed. It looked good for 2 weeks, then became dull, especially the transome.

Cost estimates in the Annapolis range from 150-200/ft. This includes hull prep, primer, and 3 coats of awlgrip. Factor in travel lift, blocking, 2-3 weeks yard storage for another 500-700.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue
E380-#22

clohman

Member II
I paid $3,500 for our 32' to be AWLGRIP'd (Aristo Blue) in 2002, including the mast (white). The yard used the tip 'n roll technique that came out looking like it was sprayed on. 6 primer coats were applied and sanded to achieve a glass-like base. Materials were about $800. Zanheiser's Marina in Solomons, MD touched-up a 1" x 12" scartch on the stern in 2005 that is imperceptable. I use the AWLGRIP soap and polish each year and it still looks new. My only gripe is that the Aristo is about 1.5 shades lighter than the sample color card but I've grown to like it.

Last edited: