• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Free Ericson"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Found this ad in the on-line boat clasified ads at the Latitude 38 site
http://www.latitude38.com/classy/Clas200512/clas3639.htm
today:

"FREE TO GOOD HOME. 36-ft Ericson sloop, 1972. All sails, brand new cushions & curtains for the interior are negotiable. Serious inquiries only please. No calls after 8pm. Leave message for Bob at: (707) 869-2818."

The telephone area code is in "northern California"....
Ya gotta wonder what kind of project this might be....

Loren

:esad:

Last edited:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
No such thing as a free boat! :) I know, because I have one sitting in my driveway right now. Lots to do before we sell the driveway it's sitting on in the spring!

Good thing I'm not closer to OR, or I'd be out getting myself in trouble with that boat right now.

Steve Swann

Member III
An Expensive Key?

I have nothing to base this on, but it reminds me of the prank car deal where the car cost $1 but the key cost $15K (and you had to buy both, of course). Hopefully, someone ends up with an Ericson who deserves it and cares for it.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
No free ride

1972 36 foot Ericson....Would that not be the Cruising 36? Big brother to the I/31? These are somewhat rare and very good sailing boats...Strange.
S

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Free Boat

Bob the owner described the boat and it has to be a 35. Sloped transom post rudder, deck stepped mast with bulkhead support, a dead A4, good sails, new cushions and loads of work to be done. He bought sails and had cushions made thinking the boat would be ready to sail in a few months. A few years, a bike wreck and now buying a house his dream can become yours or free or if you want the sails and cushions for $4000. I checked into bring it to the east coast would be around $5000. I think I like my 29T a lot better after doing the math.

Bob did say the boat is sound but needs lost of work. I want to see pictures from whoever picks it up. It would be the ultimate project for the owners & projects section.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Without even older sails and a non-working motor, the math isn't very good. He'd probably do better trying to sell it together with the sails and cushions for a couple thousand. Seems very unlikely that he'll be able to find a 35 owner to buy his sails and cushions for 4 grand.

ref_123

Member III
Free cheese and it's location...

A sailor I know (and it's not me!) went to see the boat in the recent past. Significant water damage down below. Significant mast corrosion. May have been flooded more than once, based on the condition of the floor and currently present 10 inches of water in the bilge. Engine is dead possibly because of the same reason. Last left the dock 11 years ago.

He came back depressed.

According to him, she is very much a bare hull project and as such can be a great find for those interested.

Regards,
Stan