• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Volvo Ocean Race

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I saw that two weeks ago. Was pretty good. Chris my club SSA is hosting the party for the guys when they come to Annapolis along with EYC. If you are interested I can probably get you some tickets before they are available to the public. Let me know and I will look into it, I dont know how many they will let me get in advance but my offer is good for anyone else out there in Ericson land too. Also my wife and I are going to go out on Saturday the 29th to watch the bouy racing. My guess is we'll have room if you want to come out and watch.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Yes Pleeze!

That would be great, Ted! We are planning to attend the party on Fri night. Two tickets would be great (four if there aren't limits or whatever). Let me know in advance and I'll shoot you a check. I'm really excited about it, we went to the last one and had a Blast!
I'm racing NOODS during the in-port race (don't get me started on what an egomaniacal, dumb, stupid scheduling thing this is :soapbox: ---- not that I have an opinion), but my wife is going with some friends. Then we're going to try to catch them on the way down the bay past our area. I have to start shopping for my cowbell!

Chris

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Sounds good. I will see what I need to do and try and get you 4 tickets, should not be a problem.
What fleet are you sailing with in the Nood? I am doing RC on sunday. Last year I was the weather mark boat/ finish line for the Etchells, J22 and J24. What a blast setting offsets and course changes. The Etchells are pretty decent with each other but the 22's, nothing but trouble. People fouling each other left and right, collisions, etc. They took forever to get starts off because of all the general recalls. Finally they went to black flags and just chucked half the fleet. The amount of collisions you would think they were sailing opti's...

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
36.7 fleet...

I'll be up playing with Foxtrot in the 36.7 fleet. Should be fun, hopefully it will be a little friendlier than our trip up in Oct... the gusts to 30 knts really gave us a tough time :boohoo:
Chris

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The Fleet approaches

Hey! Chesapeake Bay and Baltimore! The first boat is coming in to the bay tonight! :clap:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
seeing the boats...

We missed ABN1 this morning, but stood out on the beach this morning (in the pouring rain) for 3 hours waiting for and watching Movistar come bye. VERY COOL... we're going to try to go out tonight and see some of the other guys on the water in a friend's power boat.
Chris

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Wife and motored out to Thomas Point to watch ABN drift by. 2kts of breeze and .9 kts of adverse current. They ended up anchoring at one point. Was very cool to see them. My office is in downtown baltimore so I am going to walk down and check them out this afternoon. Was doing some varnishing yesterday when I saw the helicopter go out for Movistar. The party in Annapolis is coming up. Should be good times and the Ericsons will be well represented with at least Chris Miller I attending.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
a little more representing...

We ended up going out with some friends last night and saw Pirates down by Smith Point. We got quite close (obviously not close enough to affect their race) and what a site! These boats are really cool!
Nothing better than a bunch of whack jobs chasing you around in the middle of the night... :cheers:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
The Restart...

We got the opportunity to go see the VOR guys again yesterday on their way down the bay after the restart in Annapolis. Once again, seeing this stuff is VERY cool. There was medium wind (for the bay) at about 12 knts from the north as they came upon us with spinnakers up, then it died and they all went to Code 0's (they keep these in a dousing sock! It made the cruiser in me feel better :nerd: ), then the big wind shift to the southwest when a Low was pushing through and they went with a headsail and took off! The acceleration on those boats is amazing.
Also really cool to see the tactical strategies working, Brazil had gone way west, then reached off when the new breeze arrived to rocket down in front of Pirates. Then Brazil played tight cover on them. Out for Pirate Blood! When last we saw ABN 1, they were about 5 miles behind the leaders, currently showing in the lead this morning out in the Atlantic.
Photos below are Pirates powering up in the new breeze and Torben Grael concentrating on going fast in the light air.
Best,
Chris

Also, the Annapolis VOR party on Friday night was great! Thanks to Ted for getting us tickets when they first were available. SSA and EYC did a great job, as always.

Attachments

• Pirates Powers Up sm.JPG
    Pirates Powers Up sm.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Torben Grael Driving sm.JPG
    Torben Grael Driving sm.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 100

John Butler

Member II
The restart, too . . .

We left Red Rover at the dock and went out with some friends in a motorboat to watch the Annapolis restart. We lucked out and found ourselves on the layline for passing through the gate on the east side of the course when we moved north after the start. This is because the VOR 70's went way east, outside the spectator fleet, and had to cut back through to make the gate. We happened to be positioned just right. Six of the 7 boats came right by us under spinnaker and Brazil 1 had to alter course to miss us (that's them slipping by our bow in the picture). We were adrift at the time, not moving. Needless to say, the captain was a little nervous! It was quite a thrill!

John Butler
s/v Red Rover (1982 E38)

Attachments

• Brazil 1.jpg
    Brazil 1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 72

Galley_Slave

Member II
This is my first post as I just joined today. I wanted to share that my husband (Captn Nero) and I watched the Volvo racers as they were heading down the eastern side of the bay around Kent/Tilghman Islands. I'm amazed at the number of power boats that were around them. Who'd a thunk it? Stinkpots interested in sailboats?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I assume that the reason they were so many recreational power boaters vs recreational sailboats following, is that us recreational sailors would not be able to keep up with those world class racing boats. Sad, but true.