• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E26 pull-out starboard berth?

Tom A.

Inactive Member
I just bought a 1985 Ericson 26, sail number 256. Some Ericson literature refers to the starboard settee "extending to make a very comfortable double berth." My boat does not seem to have that capability. Can anyone tell me how it's supposed to work? Thanks.

Last edited:

Don Smith

Member II
Tom, remove the bottom cushion from the starboard berth and you'll see slide bolts on each end of the berth . Disengage the bolts and then gently slide the berth top out towards the center line of the boat. When it's all the way out you'll be able to engage the slide bolts to secure the berth in its open position. Put the cushion back in place, then slide in the extra cushion, which is skinney and covers the extra berth width.

The water tank and a small storage compartment are beneath the starboard berth top. You can access them by disengaging the slide bolts and then tilting up the berth top, lifting it from the inboard side. Take care in doing this as it's easy to gouge the teak on the bulkhead while performing this akward maneuver.

I like my '85 E26 a lot, but wish Ericson had resisted the urge to design the interior in a way that they could could advertise, "sleeps six", and instead put in more storage space.

I've done quite a bit of work and minor upgrades on my boat. Feel free to email me if there's anything you think I might be able to advise you about.

Fair Winds!

Captain Don
Gitana

rwpajak

Member I
E26 Starboard Berth Improvement

Tom or anyone else with an E26,
After one season trying to get comfortable with my wife and I in the starboard pull out berth, I made a simple modification that gave us 4" more in width and what a difference!! Now it is much more comfortable.
Just notice where the plywood panel under the seat cushion is cut back to clear the mast support post.. (The correct nautical term escapes me) Make the cut 4" deeper to starboard so the plywood pulls out 4" further. Then instead of using the seatback cushion from the starboard quarter berth, use the two seatback cushions from the starboard pullout berth. Not only do you gain 4" of width, but removing the seatbacks gives another 4".
Enjoy!;)

Don Smith

Member II
Bob, sounds like your suggestion would work, but doesn't it block the pathway when coming down the companionway steps? One of the advantages to the original configeration that there's enough room to get out of bed and walk on the cabin sole to the head or to the steps.

Well, in a 26' boat there's lots of , "either or choices" to be made and I guess that this is one of them.

rwpajak

Member I
E26 Berth

Don,
Its not that bad. My recollection is about 10" isle space left and since you can get your toes under the berth, even better. When we get up in the morning, the first thing we do is slide the berth in about a foot or so because there are 2 of us milling around then. to get up the steps we neeed to step on the corner of the berth.

Tom A.

Inactive Member
E26 pull out berth

Thanks, everyone for info on the "pull-out" starboard berth. I see that my problem is that my E26 no longer has the hardware for the berth. Under the bottom cushion on starboard are only the hatch covers to the water tank and storage compartment, nothing related to pull-out berth.

I'm guessing this is a simple matter of cutting a piece of plywood to fit. Perhaps it is supported by the berth, a step of the ladder, and what appears to be a support piece on the bulkhead between the cabin and head.

I'm not clear on what cushions are used to fill in when the berth is pulled out.

Info, pictures, drawings, etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks.