• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35-3 interior cushions

pgozza

I am looking to have my cushions re-upholstered. Does anyone know of an upholsterer who has the patterns so I can get some prices. Thanks

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
My experience has been that upholsterers will quote based on the dimensions of the cushions. You can measure the cushions, make a sketch as they are probably not all rectangular, and get a quote. Make sure you get quotes based on the same density and quality of foam.

I have always given the upholsterer the original cushions to work from, even if he is making new covers.

FWIW, I paid $350 for new foam in the six seat cushions in the main salon of my E-34 earlier this year.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Yeah the foam is typically the expensive component. I have never understood why foam is so expensive but it is, and its really not worth going overly cheap on or you will end up regretting it in a few years. Tom is dead on about giving the uposlterer the existing cushions to work with. I recovered a set of dinette cusions for my old Columbia 28 using sunbrella and they came out pretty nice, but these were simple rectangles, nothing like the complex shapes involved in your boat. Where are you located? There are a number of good shops in the Annapolis area who specialize in this work.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I agree - if you decide to replace your foam, get the more dense, 'firm' stuff. It costs a little more, but makes a world of difference when your weight goes down on the cushion...

I priced replacing all of mine - it was very expensive. I ended up replacing my vee berth foam and making new covers myself...

//sse

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I would stay away from "marine" upholsterers. The local guy where you live will do a great job for you without the marine mystique. Just make sure you are getting foam that is up to the purpose.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
It should be within any reasonably handy persons skills to replicate the upholstery on existing cushions. Just disassemble the old covers. Use the parts to make patterns. Mark where the seams should be, and then reassemble the new pieces along those marked seams.

Nate

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The tough part is having a sewing machine that is up to the task. My regular home machine does not like Sunbrella and dacron thread much at all, much less vinyl bottoms and beaded edging...

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
NateHanson said:
It should be within any reasonably handy persons skills to replicate the upholstery on existing cushions. Just disassemble the old covers. Use the parts to make patterns. Mark where the seams should be, and then reassemble the new pieces along those marked seams.

Nate

Yeah - but it's not as easy as it looks. You have to do lots of sewing (specifically on cushions) to get the hang of both hiding the zippers and keeping the lines straight before you can -even begin- turning out stuff that you would show your friends. The angles on the cushions are not 90 degrees - and and you have to learn how to do the layout, cutting and sewing without basic errors (which is not easy)- or they end up looking like they've come from some 9th grade home-ec course.... :p

When I finished my vee berth covers, one looked 'ok' - the other looked pretty sad (and of course, I did them both over one weekend, and it was 93 degrees both days - no AC - you get the picture). I had to take over the living room and push two big tables together to get a big enough work surface. I was really, really happy when I finished. :esad:

I would agree on finding someone who has sewing experience - and will do a sturdy job for less - and has a decent machine that can take the abuse (think of punching through 3 layers of heavy cloth). Ray Rhode's wife made a great set of covers for their 35-3 - why don't we ask him to ask her what she thought of the task... Ray? :D

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Density = a good thing

We re-stuffed the original fabric covers with 2.6 density foam (dacron wrapped) in '97. They still sit and sleep like new -- your butt or thigh bone never bottoms out...
Restful sleeping. :)

The old time upholsterer that did the work told me that factory foam is often 1.8 and "goes flat" in a couple of years. It feels nice and soft and comfy though when showing a boat at a show, and costs the builder less...

And so it goes.

:rolleyes:

Loren in PDX
Olson 34 Fresh Air

Art Mullinax

Member III
Face test!

Remember to take a sample of the material and rub it across your face. If it feels rough on your face, just think what it will feel like on other parts of your nakedness:egrin: :devil:
Art M.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Vinyl bottoms

Teds comments above concerning vinyl cushion bottoms,
One of our club members had new cushions made and instead of using vinyl on the bottom, he used a screen material. This material is similar to what they use around tennis courts, privacy screens, and sun shades. If water (or other liquid) is spilled, the vinyl bottom will hold the liquid in the cushion. The screen material will allow it to flow through. It also allows the foam to breath. Not sure about the correct name of this screen material but it's worth looking into. FWIW
Art M,
71/E29

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I read ted's comments as referring to the rubberized vinyl mesh material for the bottoms to allow them to breathe. Not sure if that's what he meant though.

I like the idea of using a lighterweight mesh material though Art. Any idea where one can find that sort of material?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I was initially thinking of regular vinyl bottoms like the OEM cushions, but the mesh would be better. You should be able to buy that stuff online from anyone who sells Sunbrella as the mesh is used in a lot of applications. I was looking at cockpit cushions and am trying to decide between an open cell foam like Drain Dry with Sunbrella on top and a mesh on the bottom or going with a closed cell foam like the vinyl coated ones C Cushions Inc. makes. www.ccushions.com. They have all the patterns for Ericsons. I got their price list at the boat show this year and it has everything from an E-23 to E-39 with lots of variations for different years. They ask for $757 for the E 38 which includes a curved helm seat. I had a local shop quote me the same price for the Drain Dry cushions. Both can get wet. The drain dry stuff drys very fast and is softer. The closed cell stuff can be used in any weather condition and floats so you can swim with it if you like but it is vinyl coated so it could get sticky... Sorry getting a bit off topic here.

lbertran

Member III
In Chesapeake Bay Area

Try Almo in Millersville- 410-987-2121. They did the boat cushions for our 35-3 as well as dodger and bimini. They did a great job at very good prices. I have no personal interest or stake in this company.
Laura Bertran
Annapolis, MD

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
My concern with the vinyl coated closed cell cushions is that they can get torn or scuffed easily. I wouldn't think they'd last too long. Drop a winch handle and they'll get a little cut in them.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That's "Phifertex", partner...

Lots of links on the web for this company's breathable material, but this one has a good picture.
http://www.scalisemarine.com/Phifertex.htm
I had the original black solid-fabric zippered "doors" for our cabinets on the Olson re-done with this material. Now all these areas are ventilated.
This is also used, in my boating area, for the outside sun-screen covers for big windows on trawlers and for cockpit side-awnings -- air flows through but about 50% of the sun is blocked, and you can see thru it reasonably well.

Great stuff, IMO!
:)

Loren in PDX

Last edited: