• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

buying

Shenanigans

Hi
I am a fairly new member with a 35 ericson of 1974 vintage and have been slowwly redoing all systems and have completed most of them.I would really like to come to your rendevous in june. I am thinking of buying another ericson in the usa and i don,t know what paper work I would need. can anyone out there tell me what iwould need to complete this transaction. Any and all info would be great. Tom & Sharon

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Buying the boat in the US is easy - taking it back into your country will probably be more of an issue. Where are you taking it to?

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Historic annecdotal evidence...

When we purchased a used sail boat in BC in '83 and imported it to the US, we needed mainly to show real believable proof of ownership. I had to establish a new title in Oregon (a state that requires titles), and the boat had no registration numbers from BC, because at that time such was optional in BC.
I did have a formal-looking bill of sale from the first owner and of course the very-complete survey.
I had paid duty when I checked in at Customs at Port Angeles, something that no longer is required (AFAIK). I even took the overly-retentive procaution of "checking out" from Canadian Customs when leaving Victoria to cross the Straits.

Once home, it took me several letters to the Oregon Marine Board before they became convinced that it was kosher to create a new title. Their concern, and rightly so, was that the title process would not be used to launder a stolen vessel.

Since your gov't would have the same obligations to its citizens, I would suspect that you need to check with the agency that titles and registers boats in BC, if that is your home.

Legally, this would seem like a situation when "an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure."

Happy shopping,
Loren in PDX

A and J

Member I
Buying a boat in the US

We recently bought an Ericson 30+ in SanFrancisco (private sale). We had it trucked up to Sidney BC. Because we had the boat trucked we had to hire a broker to bring it through customs. To bring it across the boarder you require a bill of sale, a certificate of ownership from the PO, The PO also has to fill out a NAFTA (North America Free Trade Agreement) certificate of orgin (there is no duty on Ericson's because they were built in the US, but you still need the certificate or you will pay the duty), We also included the first two pages of our survey that detailed the builder and the fair market value. You will have to pay GST and PST to bring it across the border. Once you get it across the border you need to contact Transport Canada and fill out an application for pleasure craft licence, you will also need to show them the bill of sale, certificate of ownership, Canadian customs receipt showing the taxes are paid and your identification - they will register the boat and give you a Canadian Hull ID number. I hope this helps - Good Luck

Jackie

Mike Paterson

Bringing boat into Canada

Just to add to Jackie's notes that you need to do the customs thing immediately on entry to Canada. That means choosing a spot that has a customs office open on the day and having either cash or credit card to cover the GST and PST. My "day" was in Sidney and we had to get a taxi to the airport where the office was open to hand over our money. Once there the guys were very helpful. The exchange rate that applies is that on the day you bring her in, not the day you bought her. Good luck!

Mike