• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Andrew Urbanczyk Books

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
anyone know the titles and/or where to find books by
Andrew (or other long distance Ericson skippers) on
his / their Ericson passages and sailing ??

thanx !!

:egrin:

Last edited:

rbonilla

Loren...thanx...that is a interesting artical...I am interested in reading
about some of his (or other folks) sailing adventures on Ericson sailboats...

:D

Emerald

Emerald

That's all I can find right now. I will let you know if I come across more.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

rbonilla

thanx David...i guess i could just hunt down some of the old latidude 38 issues...didn't they "cover" his trips years ago??

:cool:

rbonilla

I am coming to the conclusion the best (english) documentation of trips is on the Lat 38 rags.....I will be trying to find some of the old issues (mid 80's..?) and dig up the story(s)...great trip on the ericsons.....:egrin:

Sid

BOATBUMMS
Crusing on an E36c

Well it's not a book. My wife keeps our friends up on our a adventures on a blog site. We have been out sailing for the last 10 yrs. There are several links that are fun to look at (of course I am prejudice) but that is why she is the communications officer. Enjoy looking at it and E-mail us if you like it. It's her job.

SID and MANUELA in and on "PARADISE"
E36c Hull#51
http://boatbumms.blogspot.com

ps: or just Google boatbumms

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Webb Chiles E37

Theres a book by Webb Chiles when he took an Ericson 37 around the world in the early 70's. He's a good writer.

After reading his book I would NOT choose to put the E37 on my short-list of boats to circumnavigate on.

- Cory

Sid

BOATBUMMS
Web

Web was very adventitious. But he also butchered the the E37 before he started hid trip, which made for an exciting book. He has done better

rbonilla

Sid...wow, nice web blog...i am working my way through the blogs...some great thoughts and text...sounds like a great trip !!.....

Well it's not a book. My wife keeps our friends up on our a adventures on a blog site. We have been out sailing for the last 10 yrs. There are several links that are fun to look at (of course I am prejudice) but that is why she is the communications officer. Enjoy looking at it and E-mail us if you like it. It's her job.

SID and MANUELA in and on "PARADISE"
E36c Hull#51
http://boatbumms.blogspot.com

ps: or just Google boatbumms

Seth

Sustaining Partner
In defense of E boats

The stories of these trips are interesting, but keep in mind that Webb and Andrew were both on the fringe in terms of mainstream (for the time) thinking as to how to prepare and equip a boat for such a voyage-these were both extreme individualists who did things most experienced offshore sailors would never have done-much of which played significant roles in the problems they encountered. And while I did like much of what Andrew did with the customized 30+ we built for him, they were more adventurers than seasoned offshore sailors-at least at the beginning of these trips.

Consider that Webb later tried the same voyage in a 21' open Drascombe-I think that says it all....

I don't think there was anything specifically wrong with the 37 for such a voyage-it was the way the boat was set up, prepared (or not prepared), and most of all, sailed. I would not hesitate to take one on a voyage like this if was thoroughly and properly surveyed.

True-the 37 and 39 have had some structural issues which must be checked before embarking on a voyage like this-but this was more of a matter of a few hulls leaving the factory as "lemons"-rather than a real design flaw-IMHO.

Allrighty, then,
S

rbonilla

yea, right on Seth...I am interested in Andrew's story and voyge as I followed some of his e27 (i think) trips fro SF to Japan, and later I was lucky enough to be working @ the Ericson plant when the 30+ was built and Andrew would come by the plant for chit chats and see how the hull was coming along..he later would keep the employees up to date on his progress.....fun time to be @ the plant.......are you the Seth that worked in the production area?..your name sounds familuar (sp?).......:egrin:

The stories of these trips are interesting, but keep in mind that Webb and Andrew were both on the fringe in terms of mainstream (for the time) thinking as to how to prepare and equip a boat for such a voyage-these were both extreme individualists who did things most experienced offshore sailors would never have done-much of which played significant roles in the problems they encountered. And while I did like much of what Andrew did with the customized 30+ we built for him, they were more adventurers than seasoned offshore sailors-at least at the beginning of these trips.

Consider that Webb later tried the same voyage in a 21' open Drascombe-I think that says it all....

I don't think there was anything specifically wrong with the 37 for such a voyage-it was the way the boat was set up, prepared (or not prepared), and most of all, sailed. I would not hesitate to take one on a voyage like this if was thoroughly and properly surveyed.

True-the 37 and 39 have had some structural issues which must be checked before embarking on a voyage like this-but this was more of a matter of a few hulls leaving the factory as "lemons"-rather than a real design flaw-IMHO.

Allrighty, then,
S

rbonilla

BTW: I e mailed the folks @ Lat 38 and asked if they have the text or copies of Andrews articals availaible in archives or whatever.......

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Factory years

Probably-Gene Kohlman hired me as the customer service/warranty administrator at the factory from about late 79/early 80 until late 1982. I came aboard when the 36 RH was being conceived, and ran the factory race boat programs for the 36 and 33 RH models, working with RH on final details and rating optimization. Sailed the prototype 36 and 33 in Socal events for the factory. I was responsible for all custom deck hardware selection and layouts on all models.

I left in 82 to open the first Ulmer Sails loft in Newport beach with Grant Wooden (we later became UK Sails when John Kolius became a partner with Butch Ulmer in the parent company). I kept a close relationship with the factory for the next 4-5 years and supplied the OEM sails for the factory and many local Ericson dealers during that time. Sold the loft in 87 and left the biz until moving to Chicago in 2000-and worked for Quantum, then Doyle until leaving sailmaking for good in early 2004.

When were you there? Those were fun times to be in the business!

S

rbonilla

Yea Seth...I think I remember you...are you tall around 6'2 or so, med build w/dark hair...at least dark then...I was @ the Irvine factory around 82-83...for 2 years...I started the summer the super cat div was moved from Fl to Irvine...Fred headed up the move, we became good friends...doing some supercat racing for a spell....I worked w Gene as well....:egrin:

Probably-Gene Kohlman hired me as the customer service/warranty administrator at the factory from about late 79/early 80 until late 1982. I came aboard when the 36 RH was being conceived, and ran the factory race boat programs for the 36 and 33 RH models, working with RH on final details and rating optimization. Sailed the prototype 36 and 33 in Socal events for the factory. I was responsible for all custom deck hardware selection and layouts on all models.

I left in 82 to open the first Ulmer Sails loft in Newport beach with Grant Wooden (we later became UK Sails when John Kolius became a partner with Butch Ulmer in the parent company). I kept a close relationship with the factory for the next 4-5 years and supplied the OEM sails for the factory and many local Ericson dealers during that time. Sold the loft in 87 and left the biz until moving to Chicago in 2000-and worked for Quantum, then Doyle until leaving sailmaking for good in early 2004.

When were you there? Those were fun times to be in the business!

S