• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-II Engine Removal

chaco

Member III
Well...looks like the ole Universal 4-30 needs an overhaul :boohoo:
The engine is located in the salon.
I need some advise on the removal. Saw a post a while back with pictures
on a wisker pole hoist stringer arrangement...can't seem to find it.
As anyone has done this replacement, would appreciate the story !
And...what are some good rebuild shops in Newport to San Diego area :confused:

thanks

Dan Simpson
74' E35-II
Merlin
Oceanside, CA

Emerald

Hi,

not sure of your exact layout, but on my E-27, I was able to put a 4x4 piece of wood across the companion way to use a come-along to maneuver the engine around in the boat. To actually pull the engine out/put it back in, the fellow at my marina just drove the travel lift over her, dropped a chain down in and pulled the engine straight up and out for me after I had positioned it for pickup.

You could probably get away using your boom also, but if you do, be darn sure that the boom has a line e.g. a halyard from above giving the boom support at the point you hook the engine to it (probably with a come along to the engine). Otherwise, I am afraid you could bend the boom. It was really quite easy to get the marina to just pull it out with the travel lift, and I'd recomend this if you have the option.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

jmoses

Member III
Engine Removal

Dan,

Although my E-35 MKII has an A-4, I was able to get the engine out via a two step process.
First step was to strip as much off the engine as possible (starter, alternator, accessories, hoses, etc.).

Then, I built a pair of sawhorses out of 2" x 4" s with two pairs of brackets bought at a local hardware store. I then placed the rather tall saw horses at the front and rear of the engine (with large pieces of 1/2" plywood underneath the saw horses to distribute the load over the fiberglass sole). On top of the saw horses I placed a 4" x 4" timber which straddled the saw horses. To the 4" x 4", I strapped a small come-along (~1 ton capacity) and slowly raised the engine until it cleared the sole.

Once the engine was free and high enough, two of us muscled it aft until it was under the main hatch (remove the ladder). AT this point, the engine was set down on the sole on plywood and the lifting gear was removed (4" x 4" & come-along).

At this point, the boom was brought to bear on the engine (the topping lift was reinforced by the main halyard). The boom was covered with carpet and the engine was again attached to the come-along and ratcheted up enough to clear the coaming then swung over the side to the dock.

Always use back up lines during the lifting/swinging process and have an aextra hand available to guide the engine and tail the boom when swinging.

Hope that helps,

John M.

leighton

Member I
The pictures you mentioned were in my post "Pulling the engine in a E 35-II" from April 2005. It's listed along the bottom of the page under "Similar Threads" It was fairly easy for two people to get the engine up into the cockpit, and I could probably have done it alone.