• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Datamarine parts

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Today I removed a non-working Datamarine transducer from my E-27. Once it was finally pulled, and unfortunately damaged, I identified it as a Datamarine DX-112. I have checked both the current Datamarine website and the DMI site and neither mention any transducer as a DX-112. What would a suitable substitute be to fit the existing hole and old gauge. By the way, whatever sealant Ericson used 26 years ago it is holding real good. :eek:

Mark

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Mark I am in Annapolis as well and have had my old datamarine units serviced by Electronic Marine Inc. on 4th St in Eastport, right down the street from the Boat Yard Bar and Grill. 410-268-8101. They have been the best source so far I have found for repair and parts. My wind instrument's calibration screw was broken. DMI said the unit was not serviceable. The shop in eastport took the unit and the masthead end and calibrated it internally. They did the work in 2 days. I would call them. The unit you are talking about I assume its depth? If the bulkhead part is still working I am sure they can find you a new transducer. They fixed my depth unit which just ended up needing a new LCD. Done the next day. These guys are really good and a number of my friends who are in the industry locally use them too.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I would give DMI a call. I have had great success with them and have purchased a replacement depth transducer for them as well as having all of my 1985 era units overhauled and recalibrated. DMI was formed by the service technicians from Datamarine. The old Datamarine units used a 205 mhz transducer, but DMI has found that the newer 200 mhz transducers work fine. Incidentally, when my transducer failed I replaced it with a removable unit.

Last edited:

diamondjim

Member II
Transducer replacement

I am having similar problems with my depth sounder. Found out it was the transducer and the local shop here in Hartfield, VA uses Airmar transducers. They are compatable with the old DMI displays.

Also, the technician told me (when asked about "shoot thru" transducers) that they glue the standard units to the inside of the hull with silicone RTV!! I have not had an opportunity to investigate this with my boat yet. But the thought of not having to haul the boat to replace the transducer is really exciting.

hcpookie

Member III
My Airmar manual says to fill the receptacle with Mineral Oil.

I've wondered about RTV, or KY Jelly, or Vaseline, or any non-porus substance instead of mineral oil - seems like RTV would be perfect since you'd have mineral oil leaking somewhere eventually. I wonder how hard it would be to remove/replace the transducer from its twist-in receptacle once the silicone sets up?

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I remember reading on the Airmar website that it now approves the use of the non-toxic antifreeze used to winterize boats. That seems a much better choice than oil because if it leaks, you won't have the mess.