• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Life jackets

hodo

Member III
Has anyone experienced a slow deployment of a self inflating life jacket? We checked everyones before we left and nothing was amiss. Could have been a bad [worse] experience for our main trimmer. Harold S/V Mischief Maker.

Guy Stevens

Albatross attacks and the like.

We had them inflate on several occasions, once or twice slowly, a couple of other times rapidly. Scared the stuffing out of my wife as she thought she was being attacked by a rabid Albatross or something, (We were about way way off shore on the way to the marquesas at the time, so the albatross threory wasn't a bad one.)

The solution that we implemented was to take the little deployment pieces off of the actuators (There are several kinds), and store them in a bag with good desicants sealed up. Seemed to have solved the problem once we thought of it. Eliminated those pesky rabid albatross attacks completely.

Guy
:)

hodo

Member III
Our main trimmer was under water , thoughtfully placed there by my 220Lbs and driven by a chest full of sheet{main, that is]. It was unsettling to see her jacket fully deployed once we got below to get out of our Puget Sound Water.It took about 5 min. to be inflated. Mine , on the other hand did not deploy at all. Guess I should have put it on . It will be on Sat. when the boat leaves the slip.We jibed in 25-30 knts, at about 10 knts of boat speed. We will also go over procdedures at least twice with any newbies. Thank God there will be a next time. We've never broached the X119 before. I know, it's not an Ericson, but it is fast and usually solid down wind. Harold

Guy Stevens

Screwed!

The problem may have been that the actutor or the cartridge was not screwed in all the way. Make sure that they are screwed in tight! That also happened to us once, but is a really long sad and depressing story....

No one died, it wasn't that depressing, but close....

Guy
:)

Last edited: