• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Standing Rigging

Lyndy

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I would like to purchase a tuning guide for my husband for Christmas, however there are three choices at Boat US depending on the diameter of the rigging. I can't really ask my husband so I am hoping someone can help out. We have a 1974 Ericson 32. Does anyone know which tuning guide I need to purchase?:rolleyes:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Calling RigRite?

Have you talked to RigRite yet? http://www.rigrite.com

Actually, before I ask that, does anyknow know if they're still in business since they had that fire? I think I'll fire them off an email, and let them know we're talking about them.....nope...looks like I'll have to call them on Monday and find out.

Anyhow - If they are still in business - you could contact them and ask them about it. They have all the specs and spars for the Ericson line...and could advise you what you need for your 'gift'. :egrin:

The other suggestion - which is probably even better - is to contact Brion Toss's shop up in Port Townsend: www.BrionToss.com.

Toss is a master rigger of the highest caliber - and is very friendly toward us (see below); so you might get better info from them than anyone else...

//sse

//sse

Attachments

• Brion.jpg
    Brion.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 309

u079721

Contributing Partner
Get the smaller one AND the video

Lindy,

If I understand your question, you want to purchase a Loos Tension gauge for your husband as a present, but don't know the wire size of of the rigging of an Ericson 32 to be able to tell which Loos tension gauge is the right size for your boat? (And you haven't come up with a clever way to ask "Just how big is the headstay on our boat anyway?" that won't raise questions.)

Assuming the wire rigging hasn't change on the older vs the newer models, I can tell you that the largest wire size on a newer Ericson 32 is 9/32". And that would suggest you go for the larger of the standard Loos Tension gauges, Model 90F, for 3/16-9/32" wire, Boat US #179366 for $62.99. And if he is at all new to rig tuning, I highly recommend that you also purchase Brion Toss's video on rig tuning, which I found to be a godsend. West Marine and Boat US don't seem to carry it anymore, so go to the web site that Sean mentioned ( http://www.briontoss.com/ ) in the catalog section, under videos, then more products, and click on the Tuning Your Rig video.

escapade

Inactive Member
more info

You might also try Rigging Only www.riggingonly.com They are very knowledgeable and are in business. They can answer technical questions and have the parts you might need. They may also have the Brian Toss video.
Have fun & sail fast.
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Guy Stevens

Xmass gifts

You could go for the whole hog, get the hubby:
Brion's Book "The Riggers Apprentice",
a Loose and Co gauge,
and the how to tune your rig video.
You might also consider a splicing wand if he has been a really good boy, or that could wait till his birthday... :)

If you want extra special Autographed copies of the book and the video, then I would call Brion Toss Yacht Riggers.

www.briontoss.com or
313 Jackson Street
Port Townsend, WA 98368
Latitude 48 07' 00" North
Longitude 122 45' 06" West

Telephone: 360-385-1080

What ever you do don't tell him that Guy sent you... Probably raise the prices..... ;-)

Guy
:)

Lyndy

Gee Thanks everyone, you have helped me out a ton! I will get ordering everything right away so I have it in plenty of time for Christmas.

Thanks Again!:)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Careful, though

There is no published tuning guide that I am aware of for the 32. If you are going to get the guages (not critical for a cruiser), they can be of some use, but the most important thing is to set the mast straight in the boat. I have posted instructions for the 32/35 series before, but will gladly do it for you again-you have to be VERY careful on this boat not to push the mast through the deck-it is easy to overtension. Check with me before tuning if you like.
Good luck-lucky guy!