• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Speed Control Plate for 5432 Universal Atomic Diesel

FrankZ

Member I
Hello,

I have 1986 38' 200 with the 5432 Diesel above. I've broken the throttle bolt going through the speed plate, which is at the top of the govenor (I believe that's what it's called). I've ordered and received the new bolt and related parts for the repair. My question is has anyone opened up the govenor on this engine? I ask because it looks like a straight-forward task, but other folks have cautioned me about springs and gears that could pop out, etc. as I try to insert the new throttle bolt. I bolt has a foot on it about two inches long with a hole through it, which I presume is attached to some kind of spring inside the governor housing.

Thanks in advance.

Frank Z.

stbdtack

Member III
throttle/governor...

I have never had it apart but i have the parts manual which has an exploded diagram of the assembly. You are correct that the foot of the shaft connects to a spring which attaches to the fork lever. If you take the speed control plate off you should be able to access the spring attachment. I can't see where anything will fly apart as the govenor is actually 7 balls captured at the end of the fuel camshaft, the other components are bolted underneath the front cover.

The trickypart may be keeping hold of the spring when you disconnect it so that it doesnt fall down to where you cant get to it. Maybe a set of small needle nose vice grips to hold onto it would be in order.

Again, I have never had it apart but the diagram shows it to be a fairly simple part to replace. I would recommend being very careful if you disassemble it and gently investigate whats under the plate with a good light before you disconnect the linkage.

The factory parts book has pretty bad illustrations but i would be happy to scan the page if you want. Good luck!

FrankZ

Member I
Ben,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. Sorry to reply so late, but for some reason I'm not getting any notification that of replies. In any case, I would very much appreciate it if you could fax the parts book page to 818-871-1805. Please attention it to Frank Z. Thanks much.

fz